Ragdollcatlady's Just a Little Patch of Weeds Farm journal

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bobblehead sounds like a good name 😉
I had a Bobby Bobblehead already.... still haven't settled on a name for him yet, but I am sooo in love! I cant get enough of him.

I may or may not have just sent a deposit for new genetics...... I was offering to buy a nubian buck kid last year (was going to be a birthday present for myself) but the lady flaked on me. She never sent me disease testing results for her herd, after telling me a price to deliver and then agreeing on a date to deliver she decided she didnt want to deliver him, but never told me, just advertised him for sale again and I happened to see the add ...... ( I was reserving sending a deposit until the disease results arrived so.... ) anyways.... dodged a bullet on that one for sure. But today I saw a cutie that isnt related to my nubs and he is supposed to be delivered on sunday!!! Disease testing results were sent to me within minutes and all questions were answered in like fashion. They also just happen to be delivering to a city near me and were happy to add us to their route! .... I'll keep y'all updated!

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Reading further, I don't think "may not" is a possibility! Congrats.
LOL, you may be right! ;)

So this morning we had some excitement. I was working on my first cup of coffee, my son came in from feeding the farm to let me know that Brie kidded twins, passed the placenta and the kids were nearly dry, so I had time to finish said cup of coffee. We went out, milked and offered bottles to everyone that needs them and finished checking over Bries kids only to turn around to see Tahiti pushing. But not making progress, of any sort for several minutes. After readjusting and trying to push for around 20 minutes, I grabbed gloves and sorted her out. One kid was trying to come out curved spine first, effectively blocking the siblings. I was able to push that one back, felt teeth and just guided that kid by the head, til we were close enough to sort its front feet also and get it out. Not knowing if my feeling around might have ruptured any other umbilical cords, I grabbed number 2 by the back feet, delivered it breech as fast as I could, handed it off to my son, then grabbed number 3 by the front feet and got everyone started on fresh air. Everyone is happy and healthy, and each took half a bottle of colostrum before I came in to shower. Feels great to wash the dirt and birth gunk off.

For Brie we have a Buck, black and tan with white and a few small moonspots, a Doe, black and tan, extensive moonspots. I like Bries body structure and udder attachments and resilience over the years so I plan on keeping this doe kid.

For Tahiti, We have a Buck, solid brown, small racing stripes on his face, a Buck, black and white with moonspots, a Doe, brown and white with moonspots.

Not bad for a days work. Now for my second cup of coffee.

My Mama left yesterday, she had come down to help us out for a few days. She did a bunch of normal house chores to help the boys out, took me grocery, feed store and odds n ends shopping, helped pick up my truck, Dusty, from the shop, replaced the broken doorknob on my laundry room, replaced the burned out lightbulbs in nearly every room, and helped put together the new bedframe I ordered for the guest room. She cooked for us, took out trash, scooped kitty boxes, cut down a huge branch from the tree that desperately needed to come down and helped feed the goats carrots, just to mention a few things. This morning she messaged to say that she wanted to come back to help more and take me to my next Dr appt. So she will be back in a few weeks. I cant wait! She took lots of pics of the baby goats to share with family.... Ill have lots more for her to take pics of when she comes back!

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
So my pretty little boy got here yesterday afternoon. He took 2 full bottles yesterday and we situated him in the house with the kids his age. This morning he was curled under the bench, in the shade, shivering and twitching, mucus coming out of his nostrils, sounding congested, refused his bottle. My vet (large animal) was not in today so we were referred to another large animal vet that was able to get us in. Of course there was an emergency fee on top of the regular fees. His red blood cell counts are slightly low, possibly from bleeding from the umbilical cord at birth or maybe from the disbudding. His white cell counts, especially neutrophils are elevated indicating infection. Dr said it was certainly already present, but exacerbated by the stress of moving. Similar to shipping fever in cows. Possibly respiratory, but not excluding other possibilities. Banamine for pain and inflammation and Excede for the infection.

This kid is starting out with quite a tab he is going to have to pay off.... I told him he can have a year and half grace period to start making payments.... and then he may have to sell his firstborn..... and second and third..... But baby steps, gotta get him through the here and now first. DS1s friend came through for us with the emergency transportation again. And then he worked on my laptop.... Love this kid! We picked up donuts and lunch from Popeyes as a thank you.

Prayers for Mirage are appreciated!