Raising a Blind Goat Kid... anyone done this before?

AmberRaif

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi All,
So we have been blessed with a quiet little Nigerian Dwarf buckling who is blind. His name is Little Clippin'. He is the runt of triplets, has been blind from birth, his eye is all pupil and shines blue/green when the light hits it etc. No dilation. Anyway...we live in the DFW Texas local, up north of the metroplex in a town called Sachse. I'm looking for a traveling farm vet that is experienced with goats and can take a look at him. We have good vets here....but no one who is experienced with goats who doesn't cost an arm and a leg just to come look at him. Does anyone have any recommendations...and ...does this situation even sound like it warrants a vet?
He isn't sick, he has great energy, grew great on mom for the first week (he was one week old Saturday) but his siblings finally took over all milk resources and mom kicked him away. So he is fully on the bottle now and doing great. He lives in the house for a few hours a day and spends a few hours a day with his siblings as well in their stall. Due to his blindness he can't be around the other mother goats...they hit him.
He will be wethered and kept as a pet ..I have hopes to make him a therapy animal in time. He has the sweetest most laid back personality.
So ..all this to say, has anyone raised a blind bottle baby? What to do about keeping him in a herd? I don't want him to live alone, but won't the other abuse him since he's blind? ..how can I find a companion for him? We have seven baby goats born this year, but the six others are perfectly healthy and being dam raised and it feels almost unfair to confine a fully healthy goat to the "blind pen" just so my Little Clippin' isn't alone. Anyone have experience with this?

Attachments

• IMG_20200329_164318895.jpg
    IMG_20200329_164318895.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20200329_164235958_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200329_164235958_HDR.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 93