Raising a goat on powdered formula

Jenn27

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Has anyone ever raised a goat kid completely off milk replacer? I have a chance to get a Nubian bottle buckling. Right now he is on fresh goat milk I think. He is slightly crippled in his back legs, which his owner thinks is due to him coming hocks first, and her (the owner) having to pull him. He walks a little awkwardly on those legs, because of his muscles being sprained or something from being pulled. :idunno

Anyway, we are low on milk from our cows right now, and my cow whom I milked last year to feed our bottle goat now has a three-week-old foster calf on her. She is a Dutch Belted, and although she's on rye grass, she just produces just a little more than enough for the foster, but still not enough for the buckling to survive on. Our other three milk cows we milk 4 times a week for us, and on the weekends they feed their calves, so I couldn't milk them either to feed him.

So my question is, could I safely (and healthfully) raise a goat kid on just milk replacer for 2-3 months?

Thanks!

We have a doe we raised on powdered goat milk. She is now 7 months old, and perfectly healthy! And yes, it is much cheaper than using whole milk. They do require a lot of feedings the first few weeks! Good luck!