Raising a sheep as a pet.

The Curly girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So. My hubby and I got a St. Croix lamb 2 weeks ago. He was only 7 hr old. The reason we did was, his mom did not accept him, and wouldn't let him eat. The farmer told my husband and I he wouldn't have time to bottle feed him... So we took the lamb. My husband and I live in a pretty big ranch but don't plan on having a herd of sheep or anything like it...so we took this baby lamb and decided to have him in the house... Are there any tips on sheep care you guys can give me? :p has anybody here ever had one domesticated? I appreciate your time and help.

The Curly girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
IMG_20160114_144615.jpg
So. My hubby and I got a St. Croix lamb 2 weeks ago. He was only 7 hr old. The reason we did was, his mom did not accept him, and wouldn't let him eat. The farmer told my husband and I he wouldn't have time to bottle feed him... So we took the lamb. My husband and I live in a pretty big ranch but don't plan on having a herd of sheep or anything like it...so we took this baby lamb and decided to have him in the house... Are there any tips on sheep care you guys can give me? :p has anybody here ever had one domesticated? I appreciate your time and help.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on your lamb - I have never bottle raised a lamb, only read about it. There's plenty of info here and on the web, and lots of experienced people here to ask questions of, too.

What I do know is you keep them warm and fed, but not overfed, and move fast if they aren't doing well because little ones can go downhill quick. Do you have a vet anywhere near you that works with sheep?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @The Curly girl from the front range in Colorado :frow :welcome! Glad you joined us! Take some time and look around in the sheep forums (and goat forums as well as they're kinda alike/similar yet different :barnie) :caf I'm sure others will be along shortly to welcome you and there are some great sheeple here.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty little lamb! Congrats! I don't know about keeping livestock inside the house... As babies maybe until they can fend for themselves outside... The one problem with pretty little animals is that they can become pretty BIG animals! They can get pretty big at ~150 pounds (ewe) though slow growing... http://www.stcroixsheep.org/char.html

They are also herd animals so really need a companion sheep. People companions aren't really the same. And that's how animal math works... you start with one, then need to get a companion animal & before you know it do own a herd :hide

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
He's lovely, but he needs a friend and he needs to be outside. Sheep can't be house trained, unfortunately, and the bigger they get, the more there is to clean up.

He'll turn into a big ram in time, and rams always develop attitude. They want to be head of the flock...and you are his flock.

The Curly girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks a lot!.. I have learned a lot just by getting to know him...like I mentioned I've had him for almost 2 weeks now... I nailed a perfect diaper system...if anyone were to need! I feed him not so much but make sure he is eating right.... I think it's kind of line carig for a human baby... Even tho I don't have kids of my own, I had many nephews and helped at many times... So, I got some things down... I do have a vet near who cares for sheep and all farm and pet animals. I live in East Texas near lake o the Pines....so it is all full of ranches and farms. I am actually near to the area... But that is another story... I will write my story in the welcome section.... :) but anyways... What I'd like is things I should know that I might not know yet since is so little...like when he is older..or something. @Latestarter @norseofcourse

Last edited:

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH! :frow

You need to get him castrated! Intact rams can be very dangerous! That cute little bottle baby that could never hurt a fly can turn into a monster faster then you would think. Many people have been killed by intact rams- this is nothing to mess around with.

Do not let him headbutt or jump on you.

The Curly girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh man... I will have to talk to my hubs about getting him a companion later on when we can leave him outside... Like I mentioned we took him 'cus if we didn't he would die. But I will have to see about that. He is 2 weeks old in 2 days. So he is pretty small. We have been using diapers, so it has not been a nasty mess in the house.
I know he will be getting big... But I couldnt just leave him to die :/ thank you so much you guys! :) I'm sorry @promiseacres , but what do you mean with "sheep can get pretty onery" ? Do you mean like aggressive? We were planning on castrating him next week. We were thinking about taking him to the vet for that.