Raising my little blind goat

KFore01

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Good morning, I am new to the group and new to goats. I adopted an abnormally small, blind nigerian dwarf buck recently. He is 6 months old and weighs just under 10lbs now. His twin, a doe was a normal size and healthy as were the mama's previous babies. He is happy and healthy apart from his size and blindness, although I believe his hearing is also compromised but he's not deaf. Just wondering if anyone else out there has raised a similar goat? Hoping to make his life as happy as possible. I am going to start looking for a second goat to keep him company. I was hoping to find a bottle baby that is about a month or two old that I can place with him now so that they have time to get to know each other before the second is too big and frisky. My hope is that they will bond and that the new goat will grow up comfortable with my firsts limitations. Has anyone tried something like this before? Any recommendations or suggestions?

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH! You must have a huge heart to take in that wee buckling.

I have no experience in that arena, but you could try an organization called Goats of Anarchy. They seem to specialize in special needs animals. Goatsofanarchy.org -- the home page talks about a blind goat, Cody so they have experience.

Good luck with your feller... how about some pictures, maybe his name, and above all please, please keep us posted on how he is doing.

KFore01

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH! You must have a huge heart to take in that wee buckling.

I have no experience in that arena, but you could try an organization called Goats of Anarchy. They seem to specialize in special needs animals. Goatsofanarchy.org -- the home page talks about a blind goat, Cody so they have experience.

Good luck with your feller... how about some pictures, maybe his name, and above all please, please keep us posted on how he is doing.
Thank you for the info! I will definitely check them out! His name is JP, named him after the late great John Prine. Here are some of his more memorable photos! :)

KFore01

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you for the info! I will definitely check them out! His name is JP, named him after the late great John Prine. Here are some of his more memorable photos! :)

Attachments

• IMG_3883.JPG
    IMG_3883.JPG
    436 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3916.JPG
    IMG_3916.JPG
    664.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3981.JPG
    IMG_3981.JPG
    242 KB · Views: 94

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Put a bell on him, it will help you keep track, especially when he’s older. I would suggest a bit of a smaller yard. I do know goats can be really ugly to each other, but some can also be really amazing. Just keep a good eye out when introducing him to anyone else. I’ve had a number of blind animals, the key is to keep things where you left them. Walk him around at least once and then lead him to his food when he’s going outside.
Good on you for getting this baby! Best of luck!