Raising ostriches, emus, or rheas?

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Have any of you raised any of these things? How easy was it, and what materials did you need?

I was thinking of raising some for meat and eggs. I'd then have my own supply of shells for batik and pysanky eggs. I'm not afraid of the birds; I've worked with them in a zoo, and if I bought any I'd work with them from hatching to make sure they know I'm the boss. But other than size, what things would need to be looked out for?

Don't worry, if I do get any I'll do a lot more in-depth research first.

Pixie Dust

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
This is also something that I want to do in the future. There are a lot of good Youtube videos that get into the specifics. These birds can be dangerous. There does seem to be a growing demand for the meat. Seems like a really good animal for smaller farms.

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Growing demand ????? Not in Canada - some farmers lost their shirts in that game - Chickens are pretty good for eggs and meat

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Royd Wood said:
Growing demand ????? Not in Canada - some farmers lost their shirts in that game - Chickens are pretty good for eggs and meat
As are turkeys, geese and ducks. I'll stick with them. Those big birds are too dangerous and not worth it to me. I know someone that has worked with them and he's not into them. I'll say that.

But they are neat I will say that.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
There were 2 emu farms that had around 500 +/- emus between them within 6 miles from my ranch in Cal. and 1 ostrich farm with around 20 mature ostriches about 19 miles away 4 years ago. There was a slaughter house for emu and ostrich in Cal.. Today they are all out of business. Check out the emu and ostrich situation in places like Texas where the turned loose birds now have gone wild. Not a venture that I would recomend today.

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Nothing I raise is for commercial purposes... If I raised ostriches it would be so I can use the meat and eggs, and sell the feathers and hides to friends. And yes, any animal can be dangerous. I would learn to handle these properly, and would use caution, as I would with animals of any size.
For future reference, none of my animal-raising questions are on a commercial scale. I have to desire to provide for anyone other than friends and family.
Like I said I have worked with ostriches and think they're beautiful animals. I would only keep two or three at a time, excluding the ones being raised up for meat.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Research the regulations in your state. You may need specific housing, fencing or a license. Here in KY you have to have 8' fences for them.

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I will. I just wanted to see if anyone had experience here.

I just realized that if I'm going to support my family with me being just a farmer, I need some sort of income. Would it be wise to choose one or two species to raise on a slightly larger scale to sell to a farmer's market? Then I still wouldn't be at the point of a factory farm, but I would be helping the community and supporting my income.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would suggest that you put pen to paper and list ALL of your true costs ( not only the feed costs) of production and what the market is for your produce and let us know IF you can possibly make a profit.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If you need an income, farming is NOT it unless you do it on a large scale or charge an arm and a leg for your products. For me, I will only make about $30/head off my sheep this year. By 2016, I hope to increase that to about $120/hd or so. While it is income, it is nothing close to having a full time job (I work at McDonald's 30-40 hrs/wk) in addition to my sheep.