Raising Rabbits for Meat

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
We used to raise them for meat and profit. We had New Zealand Whites and a few Reds. They are definitely a great source of lean meat and you will be surprised how many folks will buy your market sized rabbits live weight.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
yes rabbits here too. new zeland is our choice, maybe crossed with a white giant. cant keep up with the demand. also raise pet types, dutch, mini rex, and trying our hand at lionheads. :/

waynesgarden

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I raised them commercially (small-scale) years ago. Just getting back into it again now. I've got a half dozen New Zealand Whites and Californians to start the herd. The NZs are the larger of the two though the Cals are only slightly smaller. I've often read that a cross between the two produces great meat rabbits so I'm experimenting with that. (No data yet.)

If you're thinking of possibly selling to a processor in the future, stick with the NZ Whites or the Californians as most processors I've come across don't want or pay less for darker colored rabbits.

Wayne

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I raise rabbits for meat. I have a Californian buck, one Cali doe, and two does who are 1/4 Flemish giant; 3/4 new Zealand. Around here, Cali's and NZ are popular for meat. the giants, while they do get huge, are not recomended for meat as they take longer to grow out to size, and they hve large bones, which = less meat. My FG/NZ Xare a good combo, but it took some.

It is DEFINITELY worth it as a meat source. Care is relatively easy, they do not require alot of space, they are efficient at converting their food to meat, and the feed cost is relatively inexpensive.. Plus you get the peace of mind of raising ethically-raised meat, free from antibiotics etc. I process anywhere between 8-12 weeks, so you get meat in a relatively short period of time also.

I have had city raised kids eat my rabbit, and say it tastes better than chicken. ( but then they had my pasture raised chicken and said that tasted better than chicken too :p)

Rabbit is a lean meat, and when prepared properly, it is absolutely delicious!

If you are considering raising rabbit, --you need to consideryour ability to process them. this was a daunting task for me at first, b/c, quite honestly, they are cute. However, I got past that, but some ppl can't. Ifyou find that you have difficulty with that part of it, see if there is a processor nearby who will do rabbits.. If so, then plan all of your does to kindle at the sasme time and take them in to be done.

i know of several, who got out of rabbits b/c they couldn't do the deed. So you need to consider that.
With all that said, rabbits IMO are soooooo worth it.

Hobby Farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks for the info miss_thenorth!

The butchering is not an issue with me. I've butchered 100's of wild rabbits. And even if I didn't want to do it, the place where I've taken my chickens for butcher does rabbits for $1.50 each.

I bought a Cali Doe Sunday at the fair, and I bought a Cali Buck early last week. I'm going to let both of them get used to their new home for a few weeks, then I'm going to try start breeding them. I would really like to find a NZ doe soon and try to have two litters initially. Hopefully the new rabbit section will be up and running by then to get any questions I have answered.

jenlyn9483

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I raise NZ whites and I have a cali buck that I just bred with one of my NZ white girls. I find the rabbits to be very space and feed efficient. They are a snap to take care of and require very little from me. They are good at raising their young. We love the meat. It's healthy lean meat that taste great. There is about a thousand ways to cook it. I hope after the next couple litters I will have enough to can at least a couple canner loads of cooked rabbit meat.

Hobby Farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
jenlyn9483 said:
I hope after the next couple litters I will have enough to can at least a couple canner loads of cooked rabbit meat.
When you can your rabbit, do you jar it raw or cooked?