Raising Rabbits for Meat

Legamin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I usually smoke my rabbits. I put two chickens over the rabbits which have all been brined for at least 24 hrs. the rabbits I place in a foil pan and add about a cup of water. I smoke in a vertical smoker, which allows the chickens to drip onto the rabbits. Since they have not skin, they can dry out quickly, but done low and slow they turn out amazing. I cook for about 2-3 hrs then flip the rabbits and cook another hour, then cover the pan with foil and cook until the meat falls off the bone, you will never have them any other way!!
OOooh! THAT sounds WONDERFUL!!! We are building a stone dome ’bread oven’ outdoors in our yard that will have a smoker on one side about the size of a large refrigerator (out of stone) just for smoking. your recipe could produce about 40 chicken/rabbits smoked every 8 hours!
Thanks for a GREAT idea! The fat from the chicken is exactly what is needed to make the rabbit moist and perfect!
WOW! (Can’t wait to tell Mom that someone just topped her recipe!)

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
OOooh! THAT sounds WONDERFUL!!! We are building a stone dome ’bread oven’ outdoors in our yard that will have a smoker on one side about the size of a large refrigerator (out of stone) just for smoking. your recipe could produce about 40 chicken/rabbits smoked every 8 hours!
Thanks for a GREAT idea! The fat from the chicken is exactly what is needed to make the rabbit moist and perfect!
WOW! (Can’t wait to tell Mom that someone just topped her recipe!)
Your smoker sounds very wonderful. That is a lot of meat it can handle. I would love to see pictures of it when done. One key, brine them in a salt/sugar/spice mixture for at least 24 hrs too, this adds to the wonderful flavor and moistness. We could do about 16 at one time if we wanted, but never have. Usually do about 4 or so at a time, that gives us enough meat to then debone and freeze making it easy to pull out for meals.
mysmoker.jpg

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
. One key, brine them in a salt/sugar/spice mixture for at least 24 hrs too,
Brine it wow. I couldn't wait and tried one in the Nu Wave oven. Half of it was under cooked for my taste( followed the direction for chicken parts), second half I gave it more time. I've got this thing about undercooked meat from bad VFW bar-b-que chicken. 2nd batch was a lot drier, tasted better to me. Dipped some in honey and Dijon mustard. Pulled some for tacos. Salsa covers alot of my mistakes.
DS owns the smoker, just waiting for him to get a weekend off definitely going to try your way.

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes it is a bit of a trick to get them cooked and moist, my friend batters them and pan fries them, then bakes them. she loves it that way, we are just trying not to eat fried things...

Latest posts