Raising Rabbits for Meat

PunkinPeep

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hobby Farm said:
jenlyn9483 said:
I hope after the next couple litters I will have enough to can at least a couple canner loads of cooked rabbit meat.
When you can your rabbit, do you jar it raw or cooked?
I'm not jenlyn, but my aunt canned rabbit meant, and when i asked i was told that you can it raw. It kind of ends up being cooked rabbit meat because of the canning process, but you don't have to cook it before you can it.

Incidentally, really good stuff. Every time we went to her house when i was a kid, she would get a couple jars of canned rabbit meat off the shelf, and dump them in the frying pan to sizzle up for dinner. Very yummy!

Kooshie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm hungry. Time to start thinking about raising and breeding rabbits I guess!

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have been raising meat rabbits for 5 years now, we have California/NZ mix as well as straight California breeders, then this past year I added Tamuks to our rabbits, and they have done really well. The Tamuks were bred to handle the Texas heat better and do not go sterile with the high temps like other breeds do. they are sweet natured and when they have kits, you get every color under the sun - makes it kind of fun.

I find that the meat is wonderful. We love smoking ours but I am going to try canning some with the next batch I butcher. Anxious to see how they turn out in that form, but all in all we love doing rabbits, they are quite, easy and low maintenance.

Edmond

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm making plans for a meat rabbit set up, please let me know what types of cages you all use and where i may fins the cages. i will ne doing this is south louisiana. thanks

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have a combo of 3 types of different cages my husband built 4 of them, which are great for our breeders and can fit a nesting box in them nicely -these are very secure with hardware cloth all the way around. Then and we also have 4 of these type of cages he mounted on the wall two over two: https://www.chewy.com/midwest-wabbi...3495199572&utm_content=Habitat-Smallpet Cages

and we have 2 large dog cages we converted (pictured in this post - we added a wire mesh bottoms and hardware cloth to sides) to be our cages for moms and babies when they out grow the other cages. and the younger ones are able to be in here just fine. When you have a litter of 9 this gives them a lot more room, until we need to butcher, sell or separate
Rabbits 10-2021-C.jpg

Attachments

• all 9 rabbits.jpg
    all 9 rabbits.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 113

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Hideaway Pines, Never cooked a caged one before always had wild. I culled 2 at I guess 12 wks and it struck me compared in size to wild they were huge. Are they 2 big to fry quartered. I thought I would quarter the back and be ok but those back legs. How do you cook yours?

Edmond

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have a combo of 3 types of different cages my husband built 4 of them, which are great for our breeders and can fit a nesting box in them nicely -these are very secure with hardware cloth all the way around. Then and we also have 4 of these type of cages he mounted on the wall two over two: https://www.chewy.com/midwest-wabbitat-rabbit-home/dp/131315?utm_id=401602563&msclkid=2ba452113b0f1da68e603383b379be9a&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_NC_Small Pet_S_Small Pet_Habitat & Accessories&utm_term=4584963495199572&utm_content=Habitat-Smallpet Cages

and we have 2 large dog cages we converted (pictured in this post - we added a wire mesh bottoms and hardware cloth to sides) to be our cages for moms and babies when they out grow the other cages. and the younger ones are able to be in here just fine. When you have a litter of 9 this gives them a lot more room, until we need to butcher, sell or separate View attachment 88211
Thanks these look great!

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Hideaway Pines, Never cooked a caged one before always had wild. I culled 2 at I guess 12 wks and it struck me compared in size to wild they were huge. Are they 2 big to fry quartered. I thought I would quarter the back and be ok but those back legs. How do you cook yours?
I usually smoke my rabbits. I put two chickens over the rabbits which have all been brined for at least 24 hrs. the rabbits I place in a foil pan and add about a cup of water. I smoke in a vertical smoker, which allows the chickens to drip onto the rabbits. Since they have not skin, they can dry out quickly, but done low and slow they turn out amazing. I cook for about 2-3 hrs then flip the rabbits and cook another hour, then cover the pan with foil and cook until the meat falls off the bone, you will never have them any other way!!

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I usually smoke my rabbits. I put two chickens over the rabbits which have all been brined for at least 24 hrs. the rabbits I place in a foil pan and add about a cup of water. I smoke in a vertical smoker, which allows the chickens to drip onto the rabbits. Since they have not skin, they can dry out quickly, but done low and slow they turn out amazing. I cook for about 2-3 hrs then flip the rabbits and cook another hour, then cover the pan with foil and cook until the meat falls off the bone, you will never have them any other way!!
Ooh that sounds good.

Legamin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I raise rabbits for meat. I have a Californian buck, one Cali doe, and two does who are 1/4 Flemish giant; 3/4 new Zealand. Around here, Cali's and NZ are popular for meat. the giants, while they do get huge, are not recomended for meat as they take longer to grow out to size, and they hve large bones, which = less meat. My FG/NZ Xare a good combo, but it took some.

It is DEFINITELY worth it as a meat source. Care is relatively easy, they do not require alot of space, they are efficient at converting their food to meat, and the feed cost is relatively inexpensive.. Plus you get the peace of mind of raising ethically-raised meat, free from antibiotics etc. I process anywhere between 8-12 weeks, so you get meat in a relatively short period of time also.

I have had city raised kids eat my rabbit, and say it tastes better than chicken. ( but then they had my pasture raised chicken and said that tasted better than chicken too :p)

Rabbit is a lean meat, and when prepared properly, it is absolutely delicious!

If you are considering raising rabbit, --you need to consideryour ability to process them. this was a daunting task for me at first, b/c, quite honestly, they are cute. However, I got past that, but some ppl can't. Ifyou find that you have difficulty with that part of it, see if there is a processor nearby who will do rabbits.. If so, then plan all of your does to kindle at the sasme time and take them in to be done.

i know of several, who got out of rabbits b/c they couldn't do the deed. So you need to consider that.
With all that said, rabbits IMO are soooooo worth it.
That is an important consideration. Years ago, when younger, I was just too…whatever…to strike the blow. After some years in the medical field and a relatively severe head injury that altered my sense of relational connection I found I am able to do it easily and efficiently as often as necessary. In fact, several friends now rely on me at end of season to come by and help in this way. It’s still not a thing I enjoy but I am making lemonade out of lemons and using the brain damage and emotional disconnect to my..and others’ advantage. This year it looks like the schedule will be busy enough that I am going to have to attach a small fee. I don’t think I’m the only person like myself around. There are processors who are just able to look at it as a task to be done. Also..having the correct equipment and sharp knives is ESSENTIAL so that it doesn’t turn into a bloody circus and freak out the client! It’s worth the few thousand dollars for the set up to do it right.

Latest posts