Raising rams

Codym907

Just born
Reaction score
I am getting my own ram this spring and am wondering how to raise a ram lamb to be respectful or to keep its distance (At least for most of the year).

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
Halter break him and don't let him do any overly friendly behaviors towards you, ie rubbing his head on you. If he pushes the boundaries flip him on his butt while he's still small enough to manhandle. My adult rams don't get grain or treats so they really don't get particularly excited when I'm in their pasture and I prefer it that way.

Even a good and respectful ram can do serious damage if they get a wild hair so always keep an eye out when you're around them.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am getting my own ram this spring and am wondering how to raise a ram lamb to be respectful or to keep its distance (At least for most of the year).
I have worked with 50+ rams in one pen at a time for yearling ram sales. As such, they have to be in top condition both in body condition and shorn to look at their best. i fed them grain twice a day in addition to alfalfa hay free choice. It can be quite exhilerating. I also halter broke them for easy handling after they sold or for my flock. Whatever you do , DO N O T treat any ram like you see in Disney movies, unless you like to have a trip to the emergency room. YOU are KING KONG and every ram is the low man on the totem pole and make sure that any ram knows it without being abusive. Do not pet a ram or rub on it's head. Any ram that would look like it wanted to butt me, I flipped them ( rams up to 200-300 lbs/ while I was at 170) over and sat on them for a minute or two untill they stopped strugling then let them get up and go away humbled. Enjoy !

kuwaiti-90

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

Hi, if you want to fatten Rams. !!

You first have to check them free of worms,It is also free of coccidiosis & disease.

Because in the presence of these two things is not good for them, because with the nutrition of grains and supplements will increase the rate of worms and coccidiases in them quickly and follow other problems.

After the stages of treatment, begin with the gradual development of protein-rich feeds and vitamins.

Latest posts