ram acting off.. *dead.. necropsy results*

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I would go with what your vet told you, so 3 ml/100. So that'd be 1 cc per 33 lbs, so I'd dose him with at least 2 cc.

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
well my ram is up and eating and seems to be getting back to himself. i will continue the penicillin for another 3 - 5 days depending on how he is doing. thanks to everyone who gave me advice, couldnt have done it without yas! :)

here is a pic of him (in the front) and the ewe lamb that i took a few weeks ago when they first got here!
3804_sheep.jpg

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
sad to report i found my ram dead this afternoon. really kind of numb about it, no idea what happened. i decided to update this thread with the news so you all would know the history of him being sick before..

last night when i fed them he choked on the grain a bit, was wondering if would have to intervene but he ended up fine. my ewes have done this a time or two as well, so since he seemed fine i didnt think anything of it. today i saw him kind of hanging out by himself, but wasnt alarmed by it because he is really a laid back fellow since ive got him and i have seen him a little far off from the girls in the shade before. this afternoon he and my ewe had a small little tiff, and kind of butted heads but nothing alarming again. he did have a small sneeze fit and i thought maybe she just hit him in the nose and it hurt? idk.. seemed ok afterwards. i went to run a few errands, came back and saw him off under the carport in the shade, when i went to look he was dead.

to be honest, this ram always seemed a little off to me. he always seemed really quiet and laid back, just unlike the ewes and any other sheep i have had, but i thought it was his personality, and i wasnt complaining really.. so now i wonder if he has had something wrong all along.. but what? he is 8 months old, so if he had something genetically wrong wouldnt he have died from it before now? as you read in this thread, he had been wormed with cydectin, and was on penicillin for 5 days previously.. so im not jumping right to worms being the culprit. from todays events, anything i should consider?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Can you have a necropsy done? If there was anything physical going on inside, you would find out.

I'm really sorry about your loss. :hugs

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Can you have a necropsy done? If there was anything physical going on inside, you would find out.

I'm really sorry about your loss. :hugs
where would i be able to have this done? i personally would like to know what happened.. is it very costly though? :/

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry...he was a lovely fellow for sure :hugs

Our neighbour had a ram lamb that he found dead one morning with no reason why, so no idea on why you lost your little guy :(

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So sorry dwBonfire,

We had to put our 8 month old Jacob ram lamb down today, too, but we knew it was coming. The only thing I can think of that maybe he had Urinary Calculi, but I think you would have seen signs of him straining to pee or a hunched back. Did you ever notice anything like that?

It's just sad when animals die, whether we know the reason or not. Sorry for your loss. :hugs

Latest posts