Ram Problems...

L J

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a feeling the most responses will be "Freezer".... But here goes.

I purchased my Ram, Capone, last year when he was freshly weaned. So about 4 months old.He is now 14 months old. He was curious as a ram lamb, but not overly friendly. Not aggressive at all. I also met his father and 2 other rams from the place I got him. They all seemed super chill, not aggressive at all.

As summer turned to fall (last year) and breeding had started, I understood and expected, a bit more aggression. He would charge sometimes, but stop a few feet from me. I did my best to not appear aggressive to him, my thought was- don't piss him off, just ignore him. It seemed to work for the most part.

Well its gotten worse and worse the last few months. Just before this years lambs were born a few weeks ago, I fenced a new section of pasture for him and my castrated hybrid sheep (who is significantly smaller than the ram). He has gotten out 5 times in 2 weeks (my fence building skills are another issue). And now, when I get him into his new pen, or I enter to try and fix the areas he sneaks under- he comes after me like he wants to kill me. Yesterday was the first time I have ever felt honestly afraid. All I had in my hand was a softball size rock. He headbutted that rock 5 times before I could back out of the pasture. All I was doing was holding it out in front of me, as I backed out of the pasture, so He would hit the rock and not me.

Today my wife was home and went outside to feed everyone lunch. Capone had gotten out, unbeknownst to her. He saw her and came a charging. She was trying to get our Husky dog inside, but the ram came after them both. She managed to get herself and the dog inside, but not before Capone got her in the hip a couple times and even headbutted the dog. (side note, we discussed who would have won, Capone or the Husky)

Its freezer time isn't it? Or are there any other solutions? Get him a full size weather? A full size ram?

Im up for any advice you all throw out here.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Enjoy every bite!

Honestly - I don't have sheep and have never had to deal with that problem. But, he sounds dangerous. Your family's safety isn't something you want to mess with!

L J

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

Coincidentally, I just read that first article from the Illinois trail.

Maybe its my fault. I did't humiliate him or defeat him early on, and now he isn't scared of us. ugh...

would selling him off be a bad thing? Maybe he wouldn't act like this with a stranger. But then the liability if he hurt someone else, I would feel awful.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here are some thing you can do to gain his respect. Hope it works for you. It is not freezer time;) It is time to show him he is not in charge.
Things you need.
Halter
Lead rope
Treats
Stick
You and a back-up.
Start with putting a halter on him, once you have a halter on put the lead rope on and tie him to a tree. Once he has stopped fighting the halter untie him from the tree. Then start with halter training. How to halter train. Take some treats and show him that they taste good. Then start with having him walk right next to your side, keep the lead rope tight so he can't fight you. Once he walks without fighting then loosen the rope a little bit. Reward him when he does what you want. Then start with a trick that you would like him to do. Here are some tricks hat are easy to do.
Shake
Leave-it
Spin
Hi-five
Before you start any of these tricks you need to teach him touch. Touch is where he touches your hand on command. Use his name a lot while training. You can't start any of this until you have his respect. If you have any questions I can do my best to answer them.

Last edited:

L J

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here are some thing you can do to gain his respect. Hope it works for you. It is not freezer time;) It is time to show him he is not in charge.
Things you need.
Halter
Lead rope
Treats
Stick
You and a back-up.
Start with putting a halter on him, once you have a halter on put the lead rope on and tie him to a tree. Once he has stopped fighting the halter untie him from the tree. Then start with halter training. How to halter train. Take some treats and show him that they taste good. Then start with having him walk right next to your side, keep the lead rope tight so he can't fight you. Once he walks without fighting then loosen the rope a little bit. Reward him when he does what you want. Then start with a trick that you would like him to doe. Here are some tricks hat are easy to do.
Shake
Leave-it
Spin
Hi-five
Before you start any of these tricks you need to teach him touch. Touch is where he touches your hand on command. Use his name a lot while training. You can't start any of this until you have his respect. If you have any questions I can do my best to answer them.

I have a sheep halter, I just haven't used it. I am going to try it. thank you.

Reactions: TAH

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
He will act like that with whomever. Selling a dangerous animal without full disclosure would be wrong. NO intact ram and most will include all rams should be completely trusted, and most would say never turn your back to a ram. Since rams can get quite large and quite powerful, it may be too late to use the techniques outlined in the 2nd article, but IMHO that should be your first step. He needs to know that you are the alpha. I would suggest that you have the mrs. with you assisting you as you take back the alpha role so the ram learns that she too is above him.

Edit to add Good luck!

Reactions: L J

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your welcome.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Please keep us updated on how it goes. Hope it works.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you type in Zak George dog training videos. My dad suggested it even though there training dogs it might help.