Ram Scrotal Girth

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
According to a paper I found, the measurement of a ram's scrotum can determine the fertility of his daughters.

I have two rams with one coming on the 15th of July, 2016. As of today, I have not measured my rams but am intrigued by this claim. Size of rams vary by breed. I have noticed that the Katahdin rams which are larger in stature carry smaller testicles. So I wonder if this is a one size fits all breeds type measurement...

And please note that the measurement table is in centimeters not inches.

Has anyone measured their ram's testicles? If so, is the table accurate?

Attachments

• Reproduction and Management of the Ram.pdf
    518.5 KB · Views: 169

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have enough sheep to contribute any meaningful data on daughter fertility (I've only kept one of Elding's daughters), but I'll measure Elding tomorrow to compare to the chart.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

We all know the worst part is we have these discussions everywhere and anywhere. No wonder people think we all just need "a break from the farm"... and we look at them like they are nuts! :lol:

Ok - even worse- I'm gonna go look at my bucks tomorrow.
This kinda falls into the addicts forum/thread. SMH

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Look big enough to me!

Ash Die back.jpg

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
According to a paper I found, the measurement of a ram's scrotum can determine the fertility of his daughters.

What exactly do they mean? That the ewe will have twins, triplets, etc. or that she will produce for more years? I don't get it. I certainly have no problem with fertile goats; they just look at a buck and they are bred, they look twice and they have triplets. :lol: But seriously, is fertility in sheep that much of a problem? What am I missing.

Last edited:

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
We all know the worst part is we have these discussions everywhere and anywhere. No wonder people think we all just need "a break from the farm"... and we look at them like they are nuts! :lol:
Oh, trust me, I am very careful about where and to whom I talk about certain things!! I am perfectly capable of boring anyone with stories and pictures of my sheep (retribution for those endless ones of kids and grandkids I'm subjected to), but things like this are shared with a select few.... :)

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Oh, trust me, I am very careful about where and to whom I talk about certain things!! I am perfectly capable of boring anyone with stories and pictures of my sheep (retribution for those endless ones of kids and grandkids I'm subjected to), but things like this are shared with a select few.... :)
:lol: I agree. On both counts of boring others and sharing with A Very select few!