Ram Scrotal Girth

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Baymule....he'll have 6 before he has his breakfast grass (if they are in season). With the size of some of the 'Bad Boys' I'm seeing, then ANYTHING seems possible.

It's so funny to see the ewes in a circle around the ram as soon as he stands up in a morning. They're a bit fickle, though, and don't want to even look at him the following morning (and they don't even have the booze to blame).

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
All the sheep and goat people don't have anything to be ashamed about. In the A. I. world of beef, the scrotal size is in the catalog description of the bulls, it is considered very important as most bulls and even sheep and goats, in commercial herds need to have sufficient scrotal size to produce sufficient sperm to breed a great number of animals. Bulls also change size due to heat, with them dropping alot lower to try to keep cool so that the semen contains plenty of viable sperm. I have bred cattle that have been put in head catch for the a.i. technician to come breed, and after an hour in the sun their body temp is so hot it will literally "cook" (kill) the semen. Scrotal size is one measurement of fertility, and you don't want to keep a male with small testicles in comparison to breed/body size as you are just asking for breeding problems down the road. Don't know how it affects the females except that the earlier maturing, larger animals will be most likely to be the best reproducing...i.e. more likely to keep the breed going/viable, and the daughters will also be faster maturing, and more likely to produce healthy reproductive offspring. We are not supposed to breed from the scrawny/scraggly ones.