Rammy's Ramblings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hired in at Lufkin Industries in my early 20's, didn't know how to read a tape measure. They made me a class B machine operator and I learned real quick. I operated 20 ton overhead cranes, small 2 ton cranes, ran various machines, and learned how to weld. I learned to read blue prints and I can rough out a pretty good print that at least I can figure out, even if no one else can. LOL

My first project was a dog house. Proud of my new found knowledge, I built a dog house so heavy that I couldn't move it. The dog liked it.

Lufkin Industries is shuttered and closed, the shop where I worked is torn down and gone. We built oil field pumping units, everything was big and weighed thousands of pounds. A mistake could cost your life or severe injury. I loved my job.

:bow :bow

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
So nice today weatherwise. 70 degrees with a slight breeze. Perfect fall weather. :weee
Got done at work early today as I got lucky with 6 baths scheduled and only 2 small dog grooms. Score! :celebrateLove days like that. :loveNice break from back breaking stressful other days I normally get. So got done at noon but didnt leave til about 1:30 from cleaning up and also got a free lunch as one of the techs bought pizza for everyone. :pop
Stopped and got some layer pellets for the chickies and when I got home found three of my baby chicks outside the chicken pen so had to herd them back into the coop.:rantFound out they must of squeezed under a gap under the cattle panel so got that blocked off. If they dont get out again then thats fixed. :clap
I put them in with the older hens last night as they are big enough now to hopefully fend for themselves. :flGave the cows some hay and they are out there munching down. :ya
I was going to hook up my tv in the kitchen to an antenna in my attic but the cable isnt long enough so guess Im going to have to make a trip to Lowes tomorrow. :barnie
Got the windows open to enjoy this weather. Hope it lasts a while. Some sparrows are flying in and out of the bushes outside going to the feeder hanging on the porch. The cat is in the window watching them with interest. :hide

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
rain all day here... light mostly, but periods of heavier. Gonna continue through the night... but after that, looking like 3-4 nice days in the 60's with sun.

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
I only have 2 acres and the grass isnt growing or as nutritious as it was in the spring and summer. I still have sbout 60 bales in my barn from when I had a horse. Its still good so giving it as a treat mostly. They wont be around to much longer since they will be going to auction soon.

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
Id like to but my neighbor says its better to sell them and just buy beef already processed. There is a place up near Hopkinsville, I think, that sells locally grown and raised meat so may get some there.
Its not what I wanted to do with these cows. Next year Im going solo. Im hoping since we are just going to take them to the auction that I get enough to help pay a decent amount on a new storage shed. But next year Im not going in with my neighbor on any cows.
We started out with 4 heifers but one kept escaping. I named her Freezer Queen. She ended up going down the road to auction a few months ago. I did not get my share of the money. We are suppose to split it equally. So no more going in with someone else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts