Rams butting heads through fence

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello all!
Breeding season and another year of learning! We got an older docile ram about 6 months ago with 3 ewes. Our original ram got into the pasture with them and the newer ram was teaching him well and didn't have many issues. Spent a few months together. Removed our original ram to put with ewes for breeding. The past few days too the 3 ewes from the newer ram to treat some feet trouble so the ram is alone. His pasture is next to our original herd (with other ram) and they are really ramming eachother through fence. It's cattle panels and they have done some damage to eachother and the fencing! So moved newer lonely ram to a small enclosure a few hundred yards away so they can't see eachother for the.moment. I worry this will build more tension but need to treats ewes feet and it's breeding season so I know the tension is high. I know some of this is normal but wonder what I can do different if anything. I'm hoping to get them back together just them 2....Does some of this just need to happen to establish dominance or simply breeding time? I can't imagine if they were both out there with the ewes together. Thank you

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your other ram needs a buddy. If this is temporary before you return his 3 ewes back to him, then you did the best thing.

Don’t put the rams in a fence next to each other, especially with ewes. You did right in separating them. After all, they are rams, ram is what they do. LOL Each ram needs his own ewes, with a pasture between the two rams.