Rapid Breathing/Panting and occasional cough - Lungworms?

NGDMom

Just born
Reaction score
Hello All,
I have a Nigerian dwarf Goat who has recently begun to breathe more rapidly than normal and pant with her mouth open after activity. She thus far still has good appetite and does not seem to have any nasal or eye discharge. I am thinking maybe lungworms? Does anyone else have experience with this? I was reading up on wormers, it looks like Levamisol or Invermectin may be a good choice, I am concerned about the possibility of O/D with Levamisol, is Invermectin as effective for lungworms? Any advice on dosage and route? I am new to goats and want to make sure I am doing the right thing. Any advice or anecdotes would be appreciated, TIA!

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If she is not coughing, I wouldn't think it is lungworms.

Have you run a fecal on her?

Temp?

Is it hot out? Does she have plenty of cool, clean water?

NGDMom

Just born
Reaction score
She does cough occasionally. Seems a dry cough. We have not run a fecal yet. I haven't taken her temp, she is very skittish and I don't want to traumatize her unnecessarily. She is eating and drinking OK but I have noticed this change in her breathing, it started last week. It seems OK at rest but becomes rapid with any activity and she starts panting pretty quickly. We have only had her since Feb. but I contacted her former owner who has never noticed her doing this before. It is not terribly hot here, about 80 degrees, but she does still seem to have her shaggier winter coat. Her brother shedded his coat and grew in a nice short, sleek coat but she didn't yet! Yes she has plenty of cool clean water, and a barn for shade.

Funny, we just moved last year to a small 5 acre suburban farm, and it was named Green Acres when we moved in! :) The former owner took the sign when he moved out though, so thus far our little farm remains nameless :p