1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Member need info, new to bee keeping - Help each other out discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Raspberry ice cream

Discussion in 'Recipes and Kitchen Tips' started by mystang89, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Jun 17, 2018
    mystang89

mystang89 Loving the herd life

We milked our sheep today and ended up with enough to make some ice cream. There recipe called for 2 cups of heavy whopping cream and one cup milk but I figured since sheep milk is already think that is just do about 4 cup is of sheep milk. It was a bit runny so I think next time I'll use half the amount of sugar and replace the other half with honey. Haven't been able to taste it yet. It's in the free freezer. 20180617_122057.jpg

Attached Files:

Hens and Roos and RollingAcres like this.
  2. Jun 17, 2018
    luvmypets

luvmypets Herd Master

Good luck! I hope it tastes as good as it looks!

RollingAcres likes this.
  3. Jun 17, 2018
    RoahT

RoahT Loving the herd life

Looks delicious!! :drool I love "whopping cream" more than I should! LOL! :D

RollingAcres likes this.
  4. Jun 17, 2018
    mystang89

Lol, darned auto correct. Turns out it was good. Bit too sweet for my taste but I definitely think sugar will be a perfect substitute.

RoahT, RollingAcres and luvmypets like this.
  5. Jun 17, 2018
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master Golden Herd Member

:drool:drool:drool that looks really good! Raspberry anything is good! Love raspberries.

So you want to replace some of the sugar with honey? I have never heard of that.

RollingAcres likes this.
  6. Jun 18, 2018
    mystang89

Yeah, from what I read the sugar in I've cream is there to keep the milk mixture from freezing into one solid ice cube. Since mine was a bit runny I assume there was too much sugar so I'll use a different form of sugar to try and accomplish the same thing. With honey you end up using more than the amount of sugar you normally would. So if the recipe called for 1/2 cup sugar you'd use something like 3/4 cup honey. I'm hoping that by adding half the amount of sugar and the other half in honey that I'll get an ice cream which clumps a bit better. Well see. It's going to be a while before I try it again I think. I'm going to try butter next and then different cheeses plus all the normal things you use milk for. We go through about 1 gal of milk a day if we eat cereal for breakfast.

RoahT and Southern by choice like this.
  7. Jun 18, 2018
    RollingAcres

RollingAcres True BYH Addict

Looks yummy! I need to start making ice cream with my raspberries. Still have some in the freezer and before long we'll be getting raspberries again.

8. Jul 3, 2018
    Ridgetop

Ridgetop Loving the herd life

I agree with Southern - anything with raspberries is wonderful. Ooh! try making soft spreadable type cheese with raspberries too. :drool

Do you have to use a mechanical separator to get cream from sheep milk like you do with goat milk? One summer we lost all our bottle calves to E. Coli so couldn't bring any onto the property for a few months. My youngest DS age 12 made ice cream every day or so all summer long. That ice cream almost made up for losing the calves.

9. Jul 4, 2018
    mystang89

I would like one of those mechanical cream separater but a bit too expensive for my blood. However, no, I don't have to use a separater. For the cheese I made I use either lemon juice or vinegar which acts as a separater. I can't wait to get more sheep to milk and more milk to eat:drool

I'm am addict and I have no intention of stopping.:duc

10. Jul 4, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses True BYH Addict

How many sheep do you currently milk?

If they are milk breeds I understand they give quite a bit. Plus some milk breeds have a good amount of cream....more than goats??…..as a general rule.

Don't know as I do dairy goats. Their cream ratio varies with the breed but, all is difficult to get for heavy cream unless you use a separator. I broke down and bought one this past winter, along with a cheese press. They were way beyond my budget new but I found a family who was selling out and gave me a fantastic buy on several items. It was my "splurge" investment. :D Turned out to be good quality and in like new condition -- my lucky day. :clap