Rate her condition

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My favorite ewe was off mom duty this year so she could recover from lambing last year. I still see indentations in both her sides that make her "look" malnurished but it's been over a year and she is eating fine. I had her checked for parasites and she was negative. Thoughts.
20190608_131358.jpg
20190608_131339.jpg

20190608_134539.jpg

Last edited:

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
She looks in very good shape to me. Not too fat, not too thin.

The comments of my 'predecessors' are spot on......older ladies don't have the same taut and pert shape of young ones! If my old girls had been sheared (still waiting) I'd take a pic. Prominent hip bones and sunken areas with big bellies and floppy udders. Some of these girls are 10-11 and have had lambs for most of those years and everything has gone south, but they are fit and fine.

Take a feel across the back just below where the ribs end. I'm sure that you'll feel that there is a good covering of meat either side of the central vertebral spine, which itself is not too prominent. You should be able to just about feel the transverse processes of the vertebrae, but there's a good longitudinal band of muscle filling the 'gutter' between the central spine and the transverse process.

If she's in this condition at 'tupping' time, she'll be in ideal shape.(for an older girl).

Last edited:

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks very much. I didn't think that at 2 years old she'd start getting all "floppy" on me already lol but it's great to hear everyone say that. I did run my hands over her back and she's plenty of meat there. Really goes to show that even after 3 years of shepherding I'm still a beginner and have plenty left to learn, which I'm good with. Thanks for the tips and info as always.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Both look unusual, a bit roach backed?
Are they a fattail breed? Possibly they fill out differently than other breeds.
At two, I wouldn't be happy to see an ewe looking like an old maid. How many did she have?
Have you run a fecal & checked eye lids?
Are they on pasture or hay? Full belly, mine don't have sunken loins, is she eating enough in a day of hay/grass?