1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Update on our 4 piggies - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Rate her condition

Discussion in 'Everything Else Sheep' started by mystang89, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Jun 8, 2019
    mystang89

mystang89 True BYH Addict

My favorite ewe was off mom duty this year so she could recover from lambing last year. I still see indentations in both her sides that make her "look" malnurished but it's been over a year and she is eating fine. I had her checked for parasites and she was negative. Thoughts. 20190608_131358.jpg 20190608_131339.jpg
    20190608_134539.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    AmberLops likes this.
  2. Jun 8, 2019
    animalmom

animalmom Herd Master

I'm a goat person, but she looks pretty good to me. I'm sure some of the sheep people will be on shortly and give you a much better opinion.

3. Jun 8, 2019
    AmberLops

AmberLops True BYH Addict

I used to raise sheep...
    She looks just fine to me! But i'll tag some sheep people for their thoughts...
    @Sheepshape @secuono @Ridgetop

4. Jun 8, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

She looks good to me too. I have two ewes that always look thin on top, have wide spread ribs, pot bellies--and have and raise twins every year. They sure wouldn't ever win any beauty contest and I'll bet that nobody would buy them, but to me they are priceless.

5. Jun 8, 2019
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Herd Master

You realize, with age, they do have some body shape changes. You may want to consider that. Often toplines cannot be held and belly looks pouched. It all comes with use and age. Doesn't mean she isn't healthy if she Is still getting good nutrition. Always good to keep watch and monitor. :D =D

6. Jun 9, 2019
    Sheepshape

Sheepshape Herd Master

She looks in very good shape to me. Not too fat, not too thin.

The comments of my 'predecessors' are spot on......older ladies don't have the same taut and pert shape of young ones! If my old girls had been sheared (still waiting) I'd take a pic. Prominent hip bones and sunken areas with big bellies and floppy udders. Some of these girls are 10-11 and have had lambs for most of those years and everything has gone south, but they are fit and fine.

Take a feel across the back just below where the ribs end. I'm sure that you'll feel that there is a good covering of meat either side of the central vertebral spine, which itself is not too prominent. You should be able to just about feel the transverse processes of the vertebrae, but there's a good longitudinal band of muscle filling the 'gutter' between the central spine and the transverse process.

If she's in this condition at 'tupping' time, she'll be in ideal shape.(for an older girl).

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  7. Jun 9, 2019
    The Old Ram-Australia

The Old Ram-Australia True BYH Addict

G'day,i would have no problems putting her to the ram,like others have stated as you get older "gravity takes over"...T.O.R.

8. Jun 9, 2019
    mystang89

mystang89 True BYH Addict

Thanks very much. I didn't think that at 2 years old she'd start getting all "floppy" on me already lol but it's great to hear everyone say that. I did run my hands over her back and she's plenty of meat there. Really goes to show that even after 3 years of shepherding I'm still a beginner and have plenty left to learn, which I'm good with. Thanks for the tips and info as always.

9. Jun 9, 2019
    The Old Ram-Australia

The Old Ram-Australia True BYH Addict

No worries, you might consider using "body scoring"as a way of determining readiness for joining,look for a BS of about 3.5 as a start and try to keep them below 4.0 as they come up to lambing...T.O.R.

Ridgetop, AmberLops, Baymule and 2 others like this.
  10. Jun 9, 2019
    secuono

secuono Herd Master

Both look unusual, a bit roach backed?
    Are they a fattail breed? Possibly they fill out differently than other breeds.
    At two, I wouldn't be happy to see an ewe looking like an old maid. How many did she have?
    Have you run a fecal & checked eye lids?
    Are they on pasture or hay? Full belly, mine don't have sunken loins, is she eating enough in a day of hay/grass?

mysunwolf and mystang89 like this.