Rate her condition

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Had my son take the pic while I held her. Looked fine to me.
20190610_093418.jpg

Purple Mountains Farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
This is my first day on the site and I've already learned so much from you folks!!! I was a bovine/equine person growing up, now getting into sheep. I thought some similar ideas as others mentioned; going with the vertebrae, the tail area and belly. I did however first think the ewe was 4-6yo rather than 2 going on 3. I believe there are some very good inquisitive helpful people aimed to help out Mustang89. Overall, I believe this is a wonderful site for us want-to-be-farmers like me and farmers who've been at it a very long period of consecutive time. For those highly experienced farmers/ranchers, I especially thank you for your contributions!

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the site @Purple Mountains Farm ! I haven't been doing so all that long and 90% of what I know comes from the people here.

That same poor ewe got her horns stuck in the fence today. I can assure you that she does NOT move like an elderly lady when you're trying to free her lol.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looked fine to me.
Nice red colour. That young lady is as fit as a flea.Someone, however (and I'm not saying it's you) has a taste for nail and cuticle!

I can assure you that she does NOT move like an elderly lady when you're trying to free her lol.
Neither do elderly ladies if it comes to that.....they suddenly get the strength of a tup on steroids. No doubt, this troublesome YOUNG lady will spend her whole life giving you worries, but you'll be captivated by her. I have a little old ewe (aged 11) who sticks her head through fences, lamb feeders etc (one way only) and breaks into containers of food, silage bales and neighbours fields.....but I think she's a star.

Good luck with that one.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Someone, however (and I'm not saying it's you) has a taste for nail and cuticle!
LMBO! First time I've laughed that hard at 7am in... Ever. The mail and cuticle are fine garnishes to any platter :p

I'm glad she's doing well and yes, she is by far my favorite sheep. I look forward to a long while to go with her.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
@mystang89 is this an Awassi ewe? They tend to carry weight a bit more like a dairy sheep, so while they'll look sunken in around the hips when you do traditional body condition scoring, check their ribs like on a dairy cow and you should get a more accurate picture.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@mystang89 is this an Awassi ewe? They tend to carry weight a bit more like a dairy sheep, so while they'll look sunken in around the hips when you do traditional body condition scoring, check their ribs like on a dairy cow and you should get a more accurate picture.
She is an Awassi. Thanks for the tip. I'll check up on how to check the ribs on dairy cows right now.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just looked up the conditioning for cows. That was helpful. Thanks

Latest posts