rats biting my meat chickens??

Kristi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Is this rat damage?

I have several meaties with bites taken out of one or both thighs...some small, some gigantic, some have been rebitten after it starts to heal (like in the pic below).

I know we have rats (caught one in my trash-can-water-trap) living under the chicken house. And the meaties sleep on the ground.

Working on getting rid of the rats.

But can we still eat the meaties? They're a month or so from slaughter size. Would the county extension office test the dead rat for me?

I don't want to kill my meaties w/o cause, but also don't want to feed diseased meat to my family :/ Or even our dog, (or our pigs, which would end up on our table anyway).

Internet searches didn't turn up much.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC00073.JPG
    DSC00073.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 1,458

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would just treat the wounds and wait and see how the birds do.
I think I would medicate and then if nec. coat with pine tar.
I would try and see what I could to give them a perch to rest on at night.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would move them to a rat-free location, some sort of secure enclosure, depending on how many you have. My Cornish X types won't roost after about 4 weeks old.

I agree with alsea that you should try to get the wounds to heal before butchering. Personally, I would be concerned about disease on the tissue where the bite is, but not too concerned about the rest of the carcass. But I don't have too much experience with rats. If any of the birds acts ill, feverish, staggering, etc I would cull them and toss the meat.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Were you able to eradicate the rats that are harassing the birds?
I would def. try and clear them out by any means possible. Rats can cause you a ton of trouble in regards to disease that can jump the species barrier.
I try to feed in such a manner that there are not much rat enticing feed left over. That can help some.
I have indeed resorted to poison in order to keep them cleared out.
So far knock on wood I have not had a cat or dog get poisoned while using the stuff.
I just keep an eye out for a rat and mouse carcasses.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Raw honey and a cover, bandaid style, will help healing a really fast way. Raw honey in flesh wounds has a peroxide like activity if I understand it correctly.....I have used honey in wounds from a roosters toenails on a hens thigh and on a severe head wound on another chicken I was sure would not make it...she did though! and with that alone, they have healed well. I would heal up the injuries and let them be comfortable long enough to be secure about their health before butchering for people, or butcher immediately (before a systemic infection sets in), cut a clean, wide margin around the injury and cook up for the animals.

I would keep them in a safer area at night if you think rats are the culprits... It isn't ideal for cornish cross chicks to be on high roosts, but maybe a low (6 inch high) wide roost/shelf????

I laugh when my meaties try and pretend to be "real" birds and "roost" on the low branches of one of the bushes....the branches are bent to the ground but they look so happy! And happy animals, especially those that feed our families are so important!

I hope your chickens are safe and sound!

1 old goat

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have heard of oatmeal and plaster dry mix for rats and mice.