Raw Cow's Milk Okay?

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
One of my does kidded quads early this morning. I knew beforehand that I'd have to take all but two kids if she had that many because she does not have the capacity to support more than two. I did milk/ have been milking her colostrum and bottle feeding it to the two kids I took. It won't be long till I need a new milk source for these kids. To be honest, I'm a little lot freaked out trying the regular store cow's milk again. I was okay using the whole cow's milk from the store last year and only had one mild case of constipation which cleared up pretty quickly. However, this year, I'm pretty sure my first little kid had trouble with digesting it and got badly constipated. I have the opportunity to purchase raw cow's milk. Is this okay to give my bottle babies till I start milking my other two does? Will the kids handle it well? Is there anything I need to do to the milk? Am I being too paranoid? Thanks a lot for your help. ~PC

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I think you are being paranoid. Roll Farms has been raising babies on whole cows milk from the grocery for years and she has wonderful, healthy kids. I have some on cow's milk right now, doing fine. I don't see how raw cow's milk will be any different than pasteurized from a digestibility standpoint. I personally wouldn't give raw milk to a baby goat unless the animal the milk came from is mine. Too many diseases that can be passed through the milk that pasteurization will kill.

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That's what I thought.:hide Thank you for the confirmation. ;) :p I kind of figured that about the raw milk, so I decided to pass. I think I just need to have a good cup 'o coffee, sit back, and relax for a bit to get my mind back to thinking straight. :D