Raw diet for LGDs any opinions?

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a pyr with skin problems, she’s really oily along her back. I’ve been told there’s nothing to do for it but I’m thinking diet. Has anyone fed raw?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I feed Victor dog food. They also get eggs, kitchen scraps, I make "dog gravy" from meat drippings. I can chicken backs and necks for them, also liver, heart and kidneys. They get meat, but it is cooked.

I would be afraid of parasites from raw meat. If you want to make the commitment, perhaps contact a slaughter house for offal, but I would cook it.

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Me too about bacteria. When we butcher I try to get them offal but I always cook it.

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’ve seen people feed larger dogs whole chickens raw, plucked and gutted. I don’t have the chickens for that but I know a couple of guinea fowl that could go on the menu:D

BoboFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I feed a raw diet to my rotties. I've also raised litters on strictly raw diets. What would you like to know?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a pyr with skin problems, she’s really oily along her back. I’ve been told there’s nothing to do for it but I’m thinking diet. Has anyone fed raw?

Has her thyroid been checked?

Also there are a lot of groups that are dedicated to raw feeding. Of course they war against each other so beware.

We did a great deal of raw mixed with commercial as we no longer have our poultry farm and depending on what we get in deer season it isn't really feasible now.

There are a few things to be aware of, chicken necks is where the thyroid is on the chicken, feeding the necks over and over will affect the dog. This is studdied researched and proven so don't worry about the naysayers, Also raw eggs minimally are ok but in abundance (like daily).
Raw eggs have an enzyme called avidin. Avidin affects Biotin, which is a B vitamin, and also Trypsin is interfered with in the intestines causing deficiency as well as mal-absorption.

@BoboFarm hopefully can be more help.
We use to have a person on here years ago that taught a great deal on this, you may be able to use the search feature and find some of what was written, I think she provided some good links. If memory serves me it was Pendergrass Farms... but my memory isn't great. LOL

BoboFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I feed chicken leg quarters in the morning, a chunk of muscle meat in the evening (beef heart or pork) and offal twice a week. I get 5lb chubs from the butcher that have pancreas, kidney and spleen ground with heart. They also get probios daily and a small squirt of salmon oil three times a week. My dogs are high energy and are worked daily so they eat about 3% of their body weight daily, which is the high end of the recommended 2-3%. I do not weight food though. I look at body condition and add or remove food/meals as needed.

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
For @BoboFarm do you have trouble with dogs eating chicken bones raw? How about spoilage?

Latest posts