Raw diet for LGDs any opinions?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't season up dog gravy. They still like it, even though there is no garlic, rosemary, pepper, or seasoned salt.....LOL

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
One thing to be very careful of if you purchase meat from a grocery store or even the butcher is the sodium content. They can and often "plump" meat with a sodium solution to "enhance" flavor. This can make dogs very sick.
Yeah they nearly brine everything these days in wet packs. Moisture equals weight and that means money. Could that be offset by soaking in fresh water? Reverse osmosis? My jr high science teacher is probably spinning in his grave.

BoboFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You just have to look around for meat that's not enhanced. Not impossible but it can be annoying. A butcher is your best bet but some grocery stores have meat that's not enhanced as well.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most people are conditioned to adulterated "enhanced" meat like Pavlov's dogs. They wouldn't know good meat if it slapped 'em in the face.

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When I was a kid I grew up with good meat grocery store. Years went by and it was less good and more expensive. When I started raising my own I remembered.
I have a theory that some obesity in people may be related to appetite stimulants in feedlot chow for beef. It didn’t metabolize. I don’t know but I feel better eating meat and eggs I’ve raised. I wish I could share more food.