Raw milk

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If the milk is handled properly and the items used for milking are cleaned properly, then yes. Teats need to be cleaned before and after milking and the milk pail needs to be sanitized after EVERY use. Also keep the milk in glass containers and they also need to be sanitized. Also there is a filtering process for the milk which should also be done.

Lu King

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

Some of my relatives said when they were a kid their families drank the milk without having to do anything....just rinsing out the bucket. I guess they were lucky they didn't come down with something.

ohwell

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Just rinsing out the bucket used to be the only thing anybody ever did before the modern era of farming as far as I know. Not saying I would do it but it sure is interesting some of the stories that can be told. Yes raw milk is absolutely unbeatable for taste in my opinion. When I was a kid I drank more than a gallon a day of a jersey's milk and I must say the coloured water you buy at the store just isn't appealing.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Interesting to note that most fresh milk can range 4.5 - 6% butter fat and yet the so called Whole milk on the store shelf is only 3%.

Reality is that the product on the shelf should be labeled as a Modified Milk Product.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
Raw milk was discouraged in the early 1900s because it transmitted Tuberculosis if the cow had TB. Since then, the gov't had a strong TB testing policy for many years. It worked so well that they discontinued testing a few decades ago for the general farm population.
In PA, cows over 2 yrs old who are shown in fairs must still undergo TB testing yearly.
IMHO, if you know the cow(s) and their health, raw milk is MUCH healthier and tastes better too. Cleanliness is important, but I would assume you are doing the verybest you can to keep ALL your food clean and germfree,
BTW, taste is improved by cooling as quickly as possible. This is the only place the large dairies may have an advantage over home grown with an efficient cooling system.

mnblonde

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I grew up on raw cow milk and now have dairy goats-i drink all raw milk -pasturized does strange things to my body!!!!!!

MNBlonde

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Brucellosis (Undulant fever) is also passed by raw milk. The USA has had an eradication program in place for several decades now, but there are still some cases that pop up from time to time.