Raw Old Fleece

BaBaaHMonica

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes that is truly generous to share fleece! I would like to start growing our own sheep, but it would be nice to have a little swatch to see what i am working toward producing. Can you send me just a little to i can feel the differnce... gosh i guess i really am a newbie.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes that is truly generous to share fleece! I would like to start growing our own sheep, but it would be nice to have a little swatch to see what i am working toward producing. Can you send me just a little to i can feel the differnce... gosh i guess i really am a newbie.
If she doesn't have any right now, I have some purchased raw fleece I have not yet washed that I could mail you a lock or 2.

BaBaaHMonica

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
oooh that would be nice. I really just would like to see what parts of the skirting to remove and then see and feel how different the fleece would be ready for carding. Can you send me a REALLY icky piece and a little piece of wool that is prepared to be carded. Sending address now thanks!

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
oooh that would be nice. I really just would like to see what parts of the skirting to remove and then see and feel how different the fleece would be ready for carding. Can you send me a REALLY icky piece and a little piece of wool that is prepared to be carded. Sending address now thanks!
I don't have any SUPER icky, but there are some that have a decent amount of lanolin on them, I'll send one of those along with a cleaner one that hasn't been washed yet as well as some that is washed. I can send a small piece of a commercially washed and combed wool as well if you would like.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fleeces for me wont be until next year as the ones we sheared this year got rained on 4 times already and are in a giant pile waiting to be disposed of. Get ahold of me next year I should have 5 fleeces I believe next year.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lucky the fleece was stored in a pillow case instead of in a plastic bag! Skirting usually means checking the butt end of the fleece for matted manure bits. Just pull off those portions of the fleece gently. Stickers, burrs. twigs, foxtails need to be removed before washing. When washing in cool water, don't be too energetic - I felted a perfectly good fleece by excessive squeezing trying to get it cleaned. Some of the vegetable matter will be able to be carded out after washing it.

As long a it isn't moldy (moisture from the manure bits on the fleece) or rotted, you ight be able to get it processed. If not, you can always buy fleece already carded for spinning.

Do you have a wheel?

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This playlist I've been adding to videos I've found helpful. I've started into fiber arts in 2011 and had sheep since 2015.

I share pics and in progress on my Instagram. Here's some yarn from fibers I processed.

Did you end up trying to work any of it? Or other fiber? I'm happy to chat fiber. I had fiber sent to a mill into roving (ready to spin fiber) sell that, and raw, washed, and dyed.

BaBaaHMonica

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have not had a chance to do much with the wool or the newly sheared goats. I got a huge promotion at work, so i have been super busy. I will probably wait til spring so I can do the cleaning process outside. I heard that the oils and lanolin from the wool can make a mess in plumbing.

Latest posts