Ready or Not....... Shouldvknwnbetter- Fall

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
0314171606b.jpg
Here's some of our first batch. Weird lighting but good enough.

Maple walnut chevre??? DH is allergic to walnuts but the maple sounds good!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm think buck/doe twins from Melanie, 2-3 from Rio, and 3 from Obie- 2 bucks 1 doe :D

The syrup looks so good! Maple & walnut chèvre is great BTW!

thanks for the guess....I could go with the numbers but really hoping for more does than bucks :D. I have to get Coco's picture on here yet(couldn't get it to upload earlier :()

Will have to remember this combo and try it next time we have chevre :thumbsup

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
IMHO, ALL of those does look to be carrying multiples! Hope they're all doelings for you! :fl:pop That maple syrup looks good enough to eat! :drool:lol: I wonder... can you taste a difference between the 2 batches? like maybe the "darker" one is more mapl-ey? or something? :rolleyes:

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMHO, ALL of those does look to be carrying multiples! Hope they're all doelings for you! :fl:pop That maple syrup looks good enough to eat! :drool:lol: I wonder... can you taste a difference between the 2 batches? like maybe the "darker" one is more mapl-ey? or something? :rolleyes:

In all the years we have made maple syrup....I can't taste a difference...its all delicious :D on the other hand- DS(15) says the lighter ones have a lighter taste and the darker ones seem heavier....he says its hard to describe. :cool:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not sure what the right words are but the lighter stuff seems "smoother, more polished" the fairly dark stuff, "stronger, sometimes a bit harsh". But those things can, I think, be affected by how the sap is boiled. I've never made any so I can't comment on all the "balance" than needs to happen when boiling. Also, when the trees are about to bud, the sap/syrup is dark and IMO not as tasty.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not sure what the right words are but the lighter stuff seems "smoother, more polished" the fairly dark stuff, "stronger, sometimes a bit harsh". But those things can, I think, be affected by how the sap is boiled. I've never made any so I can't comment on all the "balance" than needs to happen when boiling. Also, when the trees are about to bud, the sap/syrup is dark and IMO not as tasty.

we watch for buds and pull the taps so we aren't getting the not tasty sap!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are getting closer to the start of kidding here :weeepretty sure the next 6.5 days will fly by given we have 6 rental units to get ready for April 1st :th
As of today we have 3 units left to go and my goal is to be done with my list by the end of the week!! Of course it helps that our kids will be on spring break so there will be extra helpers on hand :D