Ready or Not....... Shouldvknwnbetter- Fall

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I made some halloumi-like cheese from ewes milk this last season as we had a ewe who produced milk ahead of lambing and had to be milked. The taste was very mild, but good in stir fries.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
5 gallons, that's a lot of sheep's milk! I have made cheese a couple times, but it's not quite the same as the typical recipes for cow or goat milk. Sheep's milk seems more sensitive to temperature, I've had it go 'grainy' which I think is some of the proteins precipitating out of the milk, at about 170°, which changes the texture. It also seems to take quite a bit less rennet to make cheese that takes rennet. It took about the same amount of acid to make acid cheese (like lemon curd cheese which does not taste lemony despite the name). I have not tried cream cheese, but the lemon curd cheese was good.

I may try some more cheeses this year. I will be making fudge, and want to try yogurt as well. Maybe she could make yogurt with some of it, too?

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ewes' milk is the drink of 'elite' athletes as it is higher energy and protein than cow or goat. Maybe a few athletes could benefit....it doesn't taste too bad (much better than goats' milk to me.......but then I don't like goats' milk or cheese).

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
she has made yogurt and stopped in a got some rennet from me this morning- maybe she will have to do some trial and error to figure out the best method :idunno

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since we are bottle feeding 3-4 of Coco's kids we got some weights on them again tonight just to make sure they are growing:

Weights taken: April 30th May 12th
Mischief 9 lbs 4 oz 12 lbs 8 oz
Mayhem 8 lbs 5 oz 10 lbs 12 oz
Murphey 7 lbs 0 oz 10 lbs 14 oz
Micro 6 lbs 6 oz 9 lbs 4 oz
Scrappy 5 lbs 15 oz 8 lbs 10 oz

we feel that they are gaining pretty well since starting to offer bottles

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Busy day today, DS(12) had a soccer game mid day and then we had to make a run into Madison.
:weeeWe are excited to welcome: One Fine Acre Granite to our herd
One Fine Acre Granite(2)-5-14-2017.jpg

so yes goats do fly!!