Ready or Not....... Shouldvknwnbetter- Fall

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yikes! it's always worse near the eyes... prayers for relief! How's your pup?

Ellie is doing fine no adverse effects but gave her some more Benadryl this morning just to make sure. She is giving the area where the nest is wide berth but as of now the nest is dead.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
like elsewhere we have gotten more rain then we need, especially the last couple months. With the recent rain we have standing water in our yard and more mud in the goats area then we would like to see.

We are seeing more of our goats needing to be dewormed this fall then in the past years:(.

We have one doe in particular that I am struggling with to get her numbers down. She went to fair in July(great body condition) and then towards the end of Aug started coughing/snotty nose so we figured we brought something home from fair and have learned from past years that supportive care is all we can do for them. We also noticed her losing weight and runny poop...pretty much all at one time, so we ran a fecal(which was probably contaminated from having to pick up off the dirt) but it was extremely high and to tell the truth I'm surprised she made it through the 1st round of deworming. We used Safeguard for 3 days and then 1 dose of Ivermectin and then pulled another sample 17 days later and her EPG was 600 so I gave her 1 more dose Ivermectin and was just able to catch a sample today(19 days later). Her EPG is 1800, she's on the thin side, coughing a little yet but is eating good, eye lids still on the pale side.

We're not sure that the Safeguard/Ivermectin is working for her but concerned that using a deworming like Valbazen would be to much for her given the EPG number? We do have red cell on hand. Trying to figure out what might be our best bet for treating her.

So far the other goats are responding to Safeguard/Ivermectin being given.

Also she is lower in the pecking order of the herd and will pick up food off the ground when bowls get dumped...so we know that isn't helping matters. We are now feeding the goat that spills the bowls on the milk stand to help this problem.