Ready or Not....... Shouldvknwnbetter- Fall

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
that would be fun to see @Baymule

over the last couple night we boiled down the 31.5 gallons of sap (we start the process outside using our LP burners because of all the water that gets burned off), tonight we will finish boiling it inside and then put into jars. This coming weekend and into next week the temps look ideal for collecting!

WyoLiving

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yep, weather is looking good in WI for maple syruping. You need the days temp to be above freezing, but the night temps to be below freezing. It can be a short season some years. I hope our maple syrup guy has a good year. I give him our extra eggs and he gives us maple syrup. DH buys him a case of jars every couple of years.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is a syrup festival in Henderson every fall, complete with a mule driven cane crushing machine, the wood fired syrup pan, someone to do the skimming and lots of cane syrup for sale. We went one year, it was a bit of nostalgia and yes, I got a couple cans of syrup.
You are probably out by now, time to go again this year.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Haven't stopped in a while :frow, we're doing well and keeping busy. Our kidding season went pretty good considering that we had a couple issues to deal with. Our 1st doe that kidded had the first kid coming out stuck-it took DH, DD and myself to get it unstuck and helped out-she had triplets(buckling and 2 doelings). Melanie(our 1st goat) kidded a single large buckling that was DOA, not sure what went wrong with that and not much we could do. Our kidding season finished at the end of May; we added 14 doelings and 3 bucklings. We are only retaining 1 doeling, she is a mini mancha our of our PB La Mancha doe and our ND buck Granite.

Hope everyone is staying healthy and doing well!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Had planned to stop back in sooner and share some pictures of the kids but things went a little crazy and sideways here!
Almost 2 weeks ago, I ended up having eye surgery on my left eye to fix a detached retina and was just given the okay to lift my head again instead of looking down at the ground. Full recovery time is 6-8 weeks so I still have to be careful and stay out of dusty areas as much as possible...thankfully DH and the human kids have been able to help out with chores, especially these 1st two weeks! I'm able to help again but with restrictions.

Anyway here are some pictures for everyone to enjoy

Birch-wether
Birch-1-crop.jpg

Bunches-doeling
Bunches-4-crop.jpg

Cherry-doeling
Cherry-4-crop.jpg

Honey(doeling-sib to Bunches)
Honey-5-crop.jpg

Mahogany(doeling sib to Cherry)
Mahogany-2-crop.jpg

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oats & Cork-1-crop.jpg
Oats in front and Cork hiding behind, both wethers. Oats is sib to Honey & Bunches. Cork is sib to Cherry and Mahogany-he was the one stuck at birth and gave us a challenge to help him out.

Squirt-1-crop.jpg
Squirt(aka little sh-t) she was 1.94 lbs at birth and is the scrappiest kid of the group. We hopefully have a pet home lined up for her!

Maple-6-27-2020.jpg
This is Maple, she is a 50/50 mini mancha and is staying with us. She is very friendly and wants to be right on top of you!!