1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: Unstable sheep
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Ready or Not....... Shouldvknwnbetter- Kid pictures

Discussion in 'Birthing, Weaning, and Raising Young Goats' started by Hens and Roos, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Dec 12, 2016
    Mike CHS

Mike CHS Herd Master

We get very little snow but our pretty hills get treacherous when we get icing so that nobody goes anywhere. I guess that helps the Tennessee attitude of "there is always tomorrow". :)

Hens and Roos and NH homesteader like this.
  2. Dec 12, 2016
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Herd Master

No problem, it's always nice to share :lol:, hope you don't get too much!!

samssimonsays likes this.
  3. Dec 12, 2016
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

There was a time that DH had a snow route, we just never called it that. He had a snow blower and had customers that had to have a driveway cleared after every storm, some of them by 5:00 AM. I think he did that for three winters before he changed jobs and got one that didn't lay him off in the winter. We also moved out of snow country at the same time and I never looked back. My powder sugar dusting I get every few years is enough for me.

Now for the way that snow should be enjoyed I will tell you a tale. :)
    Last Christmas we spent the day in Yosemite with our son(he works there). For those of you that have never been there it is worth the trip but the traffic and people will rival any large city mall. Well we went into the Park at about 9:00 AM on Christmas Day and it had snowed the night before. The roads were pretty bad but we had 4 wheel drive and we know how to drive. The park was almost deserted...it was GORGEOUS. Never in all my life have I seen Yosemite in this much snow and NO people. It is truly something I will always remember.

ETA. It was 9° when we got to the Park. Later in the morning we saw a bride and groom getting their pictures done with some beautiful snowy backdrops. She was in a strapless wedding dress. :ep:bow She was a "glowing" bride.

upload_2016-12-12_9-15-27.jpeg

upload_2016-12-12_9-19-37.jpeg

Bruce, Latestarter, TAH and 3 others like this.
  4. Dec 12, 2016
    NH homesteader

NH homesteader Herd Master

Ah gotcha, after shoveling all morning I wouldn't mind leaving snow country either!

That's gorgeous! Good time to visit!

5. Dec 12, 2016
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Herd Master

Those are some beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing!

We have done snow removal for 13 years now, DH is a bit of a snow freak :lol: but by the end of March he is tired of seeing snow(like the rest of us).

6. Dec 12, 2016
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

:bow

I have been to Yosemite many many times but when I got there last year with snow and virtually NO people is was amazingly quiet and stunning. Made me think of what it must have been like when only the Indians lived there.

Hens and Roos likes this.
  7. Dec 12, 2016
    misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan True BYH Addict

That is gorgeous, when i was there it was late summer and hot once you got off the mountains.

The storm dusted us on its way thru....with approx 4" and it has been snowing the entire time since i left for work at 5am..so i dread seeing whats at my house when i get home at 5pm...luckily it is getting dark by then so i cant see the true horror as well.

8. Dec 12, 2016
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Herd Master

My DH and I were in CA a couple years ago. Muir Woods was on my list of "must sees" so we got up really, really early and headed there. We arrived just after sunrise - park wasn't even open yet. (we paid on the way out). We saw only one other person there for over several hours. One of the most awesome experiences of my life!

9. Dec 12, 2016
    Bruce

Bruce True BYH Addict

Snow on the road is nothing compared to ice! No vehicle is good on ice, not even with studded tires.

10. Dec 13, 2016
    misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan True BYH Addict

Very true, the worst here is new powder snow on top of a slick sheet of frozen ice....that was water/slush when you drove on it the day before.