Ready or Not....... Shouldvknwnbetter- Fall

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
wow, glad the damage wasn't worse. Hope the stuff melts and goes away soon for you.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Because of the ice, we ended up putting ice melt down and within an hour or so the sidewalks were looking pretty good. If tomorrow is sunny that will help dry them off.

We would rather have snow first then rain because the snow keeps the rain from freezing and makes removal so much easier. With the rain being all day, we couldn't even go out and pre-treat the sidewalks because it would have just washed away.

Not sure how long it will take the "lake" to leave our backyard- it has already receded from yesterday.

DH and I left before the kids had to get up for school but they know the drill, DD sets her alarm so they all get up on time and since she drives them in there are no problems.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just caught up on your "Roller-Coaster" ride....we had one of our own here and the ground has been saturated for over a week from the freezing after rain and another round of rain all day yesterday, the water has just pooled in the fields and is slowly receding into the ditch and have standing puddles in spots....the ducks are sure loving it....;)...sure hope ya are better by now and things are better for ya and the goats....:fl

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
our "lake" iced over when the temps dropped which made it even more interesting to Ellie(our Aussie)-had to remind her several times to stay off-told her she doesn't have a leg to spare!! By Friday mid-day/afternoon the water was pretty much gone but the ground was soft in areas.

The goats shelter never got wet inside but had some standing water in the goat yard-not sure about anyone else's goats but ours do not like to walk through any amount of water or mud!!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Had snow everyday last week so we were out every other day for snow removal- overall we ended with around 13 inches of snow! We have had more snow in Feb compared to Jan and Dec. This week we had a couple of days in the 40's so melting going on which equals mud and then ice with the temps dropping below freezing early this morning...sure keeps chore time interesting!!

This morning I asked DH if he could put a bumper on the front of our fed sled(we pull it by hand)...he promptly called me back and asked what I ran into...told him the chicken pens as the hill was mostly ice...it's all good nothing damaged but did surprise the chickens :lol:

DH took the day on Wednesday to work at home so we could attempt to catch up on everything that falls behind when it snows. The goat's shelter got cleaned out and of course not everything went smoothly- we managed to dump one of the loads going out to the field....not sure why DH thought he could make it up the snowy hill :idunno

our bred does are starting to show- some more then others! The human kids are starting to guess how many each one will have....

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some pipe insulation around the edge of the sled should be a easy fix to the banging problem....sorry the weather is being so difficult for ya and so much work....I know ya are anxious for the little ones to get there, but waiting for better weather was good planning on your part....:)