Ready or Not....... Shouldvknwnbetter- Fall

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are in a fenced area topped with barbed wire now and almost never have a cut from it.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Quantum will jump a 4' fence from a standing position, but he is a horny, 150 lb Kiko buck. Jack will climb a 4' fence but only when he thinks HIS goats are in danger.

We had old field fence from the previous owners. After years of pulling out heads and patching holes where they busted through, hubby ripped it all out this summer. All new fence is 4" x 4". Works great EXCEPT when I have a buck on either side of it. Then they smash the dickens out of it.

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have woven, twisted fencing that is made specifically for goats and haven't had a single problem with it since we put it up over 2 years ago. The goats rub against it constantly and have loosened up a post or 2 from the ground, but the fencing has held up beautifully. Got it from TSC and it was about $215 for 200 feet of it. Worth every penny. Doubt we will ever have to replace it.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have woven, twisted fencing that is made specifically for goats and haven't had a single problem with it since we put it up over 2 years ago. The goats rub against it constantly and have loosened up a post or 2 from the ground, but the fencing has held up beautifully. Got it from TSC and it was about $215 for 200 feet of it. Worth every penny. Doubt we will ever have to replace it.

We will have to check this fence out- we have a TSC not to far away.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
We don't have a lot of extra space but need to figure out a better hay feeder- watched the wether just about unload all the hay this morning into his pen. The feeder is shared between the 2 goats on the divider panel so if he pulls everything out she has nothing = unhappiness (she is not shy about telling us either). As much as I don't want to, we may need to put the feeder on the outside of pen (trying not to take up the walk way area) giving each one their own.

Too bad goats aren't as good at keeping the hay cleaned up like the rabbits are ;)

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
goats can waste hay something awful. can you make it harder for him to get the hay out. i have one feeder that has 2x4 wire on it and the goats could just nibble the hay out of it. it hangs on the wall and the hay comes down by gravity. it also has a trough below it to catch what they pull down. that one works great for the wasters at my house.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
making it harder for him to get it out is probably what we need to do and add a trough. Our girl has to pull the hay out through the chain link fence but the actual feeder is on his side as we were using this feeder for our rabbit colony which we moved to make more room. With the cold and snow here, DH hasn't had a lot of extra time to help me make something better.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got so sick of this I started feeding it out of a bucket on the ground.
Sometimes I just put it on the ground. Spoiled goats would go ahhh it touched the ground I can't eat it... Now it's oh look, alfalfa on the ground YUM YUM!

Of course I don't put out a lot for the ones I do this with but it was getting so bad I'd say at least a flake maybe even 2 were getting wasted.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
yep there is by far and away more hay in his bedding than in her bedding, I am so tempted to add a rabbit into each side to clean up the hay! DD and I had Melanie out yesterday while we were doing chores and I had the rabbit pen door open and she jumped right in, checked the rabbits out then got back out and went to her own pen. The rabbits weren't bothered by this at all...... it was kind of cute.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
So this morning, I introduced JJ (one of our rabbits) to Melanie while doing chores and just for a few minutes. She wasn't sure what to make of him, gave him lots of room and watched him. Then after a few minutes she got brave! He wasn't bothered by her at all- he is our oldest rabbit(coming up on 6 years) and nothing phases him.
Melanie meets JJ-1-9-2015.jpg