Ready or Not....... Shouldvknwnbetter- Fall

MsDeb

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Overdosing on ADORABLE!!!! Congratulations on your new addition. What a fun Thanksgiving weekend you will have!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
first I'm guessing the aussie is friendly but a litte hyper so have the aussie on a leash, and just let them sniff. baby goatie won't know to be afraid so she will be fine. aussie may be excited but should be ok too.

yep that pretty much describes her, will have more time over the next few days and extra hands to help!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Overdosing on ADORABLE!!!! Congratulations on your new addition. What a fun Thanksgiving weekend you will have!

thanks, she did good overnight and the since she gets 3 bottles- each human kid gets a turn ;), hopefully they are this excited about cleaning her pen...:lol:

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
So at this point we have very little background information on her.
Born: Oct 19th 2014

Vaccinations...was told yes but not sure what....guessing she should get a CD&T right away

she has small horns growing.....needs to be dis-budded...at 5 weeks old what is the best way?

MsDeb

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
From our first really bad experience say that if you have very little info on her get her to a vet that knows goats as soon as possible. We just took the guys word for it when we got our first goat and learned the hard way. At least have a fecal sample done for parasites. (Not a "panic mode" situation, but I'd guess a "get done right after the holiday" situation. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.)

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
nope you're not wrong MsDed she can wait till next week to go to the vet unless a problem pops up. unless the horn buttons are to big you can probably disbud her. very traumatic for you and her but she'll quickly forget it but i promise you never will. one of the necessary evils of goat husbandry. @Hens and Roos how did things go with the aussie?

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
so we have reading about the different methods available for de-budding...what have other found that works the best?

@goatgurl we ended up introducing both dogs to her and it went very smooth. Both the aussie and cocker were very interested in her and very careful when checking her over.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Depending on the size they will probably still use a disbudding iron and then cow dehorhers. More than likely if they are already through and growing they will sedate her.
Generally it is no longer called a disbudding but a dehorning.
Depending on how large the little horns are she may have holes and head will be wrapped but they will be small and heal quickly.

I know that is a lot of "depends" but it really does depend on several factors of how they will proceed.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
okay, that does make sense, I have a few calls in to see about getting this taken care of.

so I picked up a bottle of CD/T, the bottle says 2ml SQ.....is this correct for a ND? Also will a 21 gauge needle be ok or should we have a different size?

friends of ours have a soon to be wether who is an only and they are willing to let him be a winter buddy so we can get better prepared for adding another one or two :hide(getting fencing/housing set up)- how does one go about introducing them....it will be a win-win situation for both of us if this works.

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just enjoying the abundance of goat cuteness. Needed a lift and that picture did the job! :) TY.
Is the wether close to her age? Make sure the other goats is healthy as well. Usually adding goats together right away is not a good idea unless you know both goats are free from everything. Lice, (generally spring problem), hoof rot, parasites and any other diseases.
As far as introducing them: put them in a pen together and watch them. Just have to make sure if the other goat is older that he is not overly aggressive. There will be some pushing and head butting, pecking order establishment. If he is disbudded and not to much older than there won't be much of a problem.

I have to watch mine because the majority have horns.

Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of goats. Won't be long and we will be reading about you adding more. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts