Ready or Not....... Shouldvknwnbetter- Fall

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well I can count on one hand the times we saw a doe bred when she didn't settle so I'm not sure why I would test at all
We've never pregnancy tested our
does
Testing the milk is just an advantage of milk testing

Same here... we never needed to... but this case was different... the buck has been in question to his fertility... and I knew the one doe was open... unfortunately everytime the 2nd doe would possibly cycle back I wasn't around to see... the goats were to be sold and I would breed December before they left... I am glad I did the check, because I would have bred the other doe in Dec... and as it stands the people cannot be there for a feb kidding so... we will hold the does til spring/summer.

I was just impressed with the low cost and easy shipping etc.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have used blood pregnancy testing quite a bit. I use Sage Ag labs and she does preg. CL, CAE, and Johnes if you need it all done. I would like to test 3 or 4 this year but by the time I get someone here to draw blood I may not need to check them. :lol:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I live in Northern CA and we are having gorgeous weather. Highs in the upper 60's and lows in the 40's. It should be like this for at least another week and I am loving every minute. You guys can keep all your nasty cold weather. South....Ha !!!!!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
90+ propane with PVC vents. Navien. Not impressed, the problem started when it was barely a year old. May have existed earlier but it was nearly 6 months between when it was installed and when we could move back in. By then it was mid March. I never really noticed how it was running until I was in the house all day rather than showing up in the morning to work on things. It became obvious the following fall when we started needing the heat more due to outside temps. It was originally set up to run the fan 2 minutes after shutdown so mostly blowing unheated air around the house with a little shot of heat every 2.5 - 3 minutes. I changed that to 1 minute with the dip switches before figuring out the rollout switch was tripping. I've left it at 1 minute.

The SW corner of the foundation of the original building needs to be replaced - fieldstone and it is separating because some idiot long ago put a door in not a foot from the corner compromising it. Prior owner nicely hid that by pointing all the stone before putting it on the market. Looked fine ... then. That corner will be replaced (and the house raised at that corner to replace the rotted 12x12 sills) with poured concrete and I'm considering replacing the propane furnace (rebuilt building on crawl space), propane on-demand water heater (which is not an efficient design given today's low water use appliances) and oil furnace in the basement of the original building with a geothermal unit powered by the solar panels. HOPEFULLY most of the existing ductwork can be used.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
sounds like you really have a interesting situation going on- will have to watch your thread to see how the geothermal unit works out.

We got some snow late last night/early this morning- just enough that we had to go out and remove snow from a few places but the amount on the sidewalks varied greatly.

Dryer parts showed up today- DH put it back together and it was getting warm when he ran it without clothes so now we will test with a load of clothes :fl. DH figures it's good for another 14 years :gig Our items seem to last forever but items in the rental units fail on a regular basis....go figure :rolleyes:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
A broken dryer or washer here is a crisis!
Glad you got yours fixed.

BTW- snow here yesterday and today...
yesterday snow then sleet , snow then sleet... on and on
today- snow- no accumulation despite it snowing all day-- west of us I think has 8 or so inches

Just sayin' this is not right :p oh... and if it is gonna snow we should at least have something to play in.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Couldn't be because you take better care of your because YOU have to pay to repair them ;)

yeah that seems to be it, lucky for us DH is able to repair a lot of the items that the tenants break so that helps. Dryer works great now and seems to be drying the clothes better/faster than before!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can understand the crisis of having a broken washer or dryer @Southern by choice, with just 5 of us, we can run 5-6 loads a week maybe more depending on who needs what washed especially with 2 kids playing sports!

Listening to the weather, we are about 6" behind in snow fall for our area- maybe we'll catch up..:idunno

Starting baking Christmas cookies today, the kids have a cookie exchange tomorrow at the 4-H meeting so we needed some for that :D