Ready or Not....... Shouldvknwnbetter- Fall

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
he is 4 months old, a fainter x Nubian and is small. we will make sure to do an intro while our friends are present as neither of us want either goat hurt. they have had goats for years and are willing to help us as we learn, nice thing is they are only a few miles away from us!

lol...on adding more- we will be adding at least 1 maybe 2 so that all 3 kids can show them as 4-H projects(my DS12 doesn't always come right out and tell me he wants to show so I try to make sure he can if he wishes- his sister and brother are more vocal about this...:lol:

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, a 21g needle will be fine. I have used 22, 20, & 18g needles, all the goats have been fine. I try not to use 18 on kids cause that is a pretty big needle for a little Nigi kid. The 2ml is correct. It is the same dosage for adults, kids, standard & miniature goats unless the bottle is marked otherwise. If you do a YouTube search, you will find lots of videos on how to give it. I prefer to give it Sub Q but I know others give it IM.

Your little doeling is adorable! :love

I can see it now..... In five years from now you will have over 30 goats.... Don't fight it.... just go with it :p

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
so we have a vet set to come on Monday and take a look at Melanie for de-horning her. We are actively looking for another doe as a permanent friend.

have a question.. when you come across the mini goats- how do you figure out how tall and big they will be? For example saw an ad for a mini mancha, what could one expect.

Okay found the website that indicates that a mini doe should be between 22" and 28" in height but what is a healthy/ideal weight?

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thought you were still logged on..

ok so if an F-1 look at the parent stock. How large is the Lamancha?

If they have other grown mini's out of similar sized or same breedings that will give you an idea.

There can be a wide range, as you know.
Our Lamancha does are on the smaller side. 100-115 They are on the lower end of the height scale. Depending on what registry you are looking at a Lamancha doe should stand a minimum 28" at the withers. In my opinion I want my mini's to be MINIS! LOL

Our current minis as an example...
Bred doe due Jan she is 18months. Stands 23 1/2" she will end up about 24-24 1/2" at maturity. She weighed 60-65 lbs before being bred.
Doe- just shy of 18 months... cannot find my log book right now but I am pretty sure she was 19 1/2" and weighed 40+ lbs maybe 47? Not sure.
2nd doe was FAT! :hide She had feed in am and hay and forage and still nursed off of momma! Now that she is off momma she will thin out a bit.. she looked more round....

2 mini mancha bucklings... I will be weighing tomorrow but they are at this time pretty much the same height as my Dwarf Bucks.
Mini boys are 9 1/2 months old. maybe 45-50 lbs 23":hu

I have some pics that may be helpful but I have to resize them before I can put them up.

So... if a doe is 32" and 130-150 lbs than typically the offspring will be larger mini's.

How old is the doeling? Our first mini doeling was a single and she grew tall really fast, I thought to myself "she's not looking too mini" yet she did turn out to be. She is example 1
Doeling 2 was a twin she grew wider faster than taller! LOL She is a beautiful mini. Jer brother was gorgeous.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Make sure you find out what the goat's requirements are for your local youth shows. We could only to 1-2 shows a year here with unregistered goats unless we showed market goats. Other areas are different.

Our State fair is an ADGA sanctioned show and requires ADGA registered goats- so you'd have to purchase one who has registered parents and paperwork.