Ready or Not....... Shouldvknwnbetter- Fall

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
YAY! Is it Celeste's kids?

With nigies the kids are itty bitty so when they are small you will need maybe a 2x4 woven NOT welded. For the most part a 4x4 goat fence works great just remember new kids can slip through so having something (even netting for the bottom 18") to prevent that is good.
My goats at 40 lbs could get through cattle panels... yoou'd think their fat bellies wouldn't let them but if their head fits it seems the rest does too. :lol:
You can also put hot wire at the bottom if you want.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
yep, she would be the doe!

Okay- why woven fence and not welded? We are pricing out roll vs panels.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The welds snap and break. Goats climb and rub and when they do those welds snap. Not worth wasting your money on.
Lots of people start with that and inevitably end up replacing it. Not worth saving a penny today when in time it will just be money thrown out the window.

THe 4x4is a bit costly and the 2x4 in very expensive but after having goats for years truthfully, I wish we would have bit the bullet and just done 2x4 to begin with. We have field fencing . I HATE IT!
When we move.... all 2x4 no climb!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Hens and Roos I too used field fencing. Never again. It breaks and tears up easily. NEVER AGAIN. I do not have goats, but if they are as inquisitive and hard to keep in a fence as everybody says they are, field fence is the next to the last stuff I would use. The LAST wire I would use is welded wire. It is total crap. We currently live in town, were given a Great Pyrenees several years ago and used 3' welded wire to raise our 4' chain link fence to keep her contained. She has chewed it up in her favorite places to hit the wire and bark. Not only that, but the place we just bought had a dog pen made of welded wire and it is broken apart, loose wires everywhere, and we paid a couple of day laborers to take it down and haul it off (among other trash). We were delighted to get rid of it.

We bought a house on 8 acres and we will fence the whole place in the non-climb 2"x4" horse wire. Yes, it will cost, but it will keep our animals (even the chickens) IN and everything else OUT.

Suck it up, do it right the first time and go with the horse wire if at all possible. You will be glad you did in the long run. Or....you can use the other wire, see it get torn up, messed up, broken in places, HATE it and have to keep putting up with it because it is too much trouble and costly to take the first mess down and put up the wire you should have used in the first place......just sayin'........

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
thanks for the feed back- this is good to know- we really only want to do this once and have it hold ;)

So is 5ft tall enough ?

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We will be using 7' T-posts which leaves 5' above ground. We will use 4' horse wire and top it with 2 strands of barbed wire to make a 5' fence.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
None of our goats go over a 4 ft fence. Some bucks (standard breeds) will hop a 4ft like it is nothing. Your Nigies should be fine.
@Baymule you may want to rethink barbed wire at the top... better to put a strand of hot. Barbed wire and goats and sheep do not go together well. Not something recommended for either sheep or goats.

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
I recently aquired a jumper who cleared my 5ft fencing from a STANDING position. He was sold days later... pitty, lovely buck. They are out there, but i do t see it being an issue with nigerians!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
None of our goats go over a 4 ft fence. Some bucks (standard breeds) will hop a 4ft like it is nothing. Your Nigies should be fine.
@Baymule you may want to rethink barbed wire at the top... better to put a strand of hot. Barbed wire and goats and sheep do not go together well. Not something recommended for either sheep or goats.
I have horses as well, the barbed wire is for them. otherwise they will lean over the fence, because what's on the other side is ALWAYS better than what they have. :he