Ready to be self sufficient!!

Lereg

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hey all! I've been watching this forum for a while, and learning tons of info, so thank you!
When I was 6 yrs old, a long time ago, my aunt and uncle had a farm and I was intrigued from that time on. Now, many years later, I may be in a position to be able to have one of my own soon!! For some reason or another, I've always ended up in places where livestock wasn't allowed, but prayfully soon I can get 20-30 acres for my lifelong dream. We've been looking in the east Tn/ Kentucky area.

As I have only owned dogs and rabbits, there's plenty I need to learn before all this happens, and after perusing this forum, I know I can learn it all from here!!

My plans are for about 30 chickens, Nubian goats, sheep, guineas, and maybe a couple of cows. Also a couple gardens so eventually we can be done with the hormones and pesticides you get from the stores now a days. As of now, I believe my acreage will be suffice for my dreams to eventually come true.

I look forward to the knowledge I will learn from you all, in hopes that I can apply it all to be successful in my endeavor. I thank you all in advance!!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Let me be the first to welcome you with my 5000th post :celebrate Greetings and welcome to BYH! Sounds like a wonderful plan you're working toward! Wish I had started years ago, hence my screen name... So yes, there's a wealth of info, knowledge, experiences, joy and grief shared in the various threads, and as you read them you'll get to know our active members :D We have some really great folks here who are always willing to help out when someone is in need. Browse around and make yourself at home! Couple of things; you should include a general location in your profile as that has a huge impact on answering most questions regarding animal care. It will be one of the first things anyone will have to ask you if you post a question. The other thing is we're all a bunch of picture addicts, so feel free to post as many as you wish! :thumbsup Glad you joined up :clap

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from NW Mississippi!! :frow
You'll certainly find all the info ya need to get started, and if ya don't, just ask. There are many knowledgeable people here that have a wealth of Experience that they are more than willing to "Share". As ya have stated in your "Reading" so far. Do ya have any animals at all yet? Do ya have a timeline on aquiring a place?
Out of those 30 chickens, what breeds are ya wanting to get? What is the long range goal with them?...to raise strictly for meat?...egg production?....show?....or, just for Fun?
Oh, and never hesitate to post some pics, we All just adore any animals. :)
Again....:welcome

Lereg

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Let me be the first to welcome you with my 5000th post :celebrate Greetings and welcome to BYH! Sounds like a wonderful plan you're working toward! Wish I had started years ago, hence my screen name... So yes, there's a wealth of info, knowledge, experiences, joy and grief shared in the various threads, and as you read them you'll get to know our active members :D We have some really great folks here who are always willing to help out when someone is in need. Browse around and make yourself at home! Couple of things; you should include a general location in your profile as that has a huge impact on answering most questions regarding animal care. It will be one of the first things anyone will have to ask you if you post a question. The other thing is we're all a bunch of picture addicts, so feel free to post as many as you wish! :thumbsup Glad you joined up :clap
I'll add my location soon, thanks!!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from NH! I have goats, pigs, chickens and turkeys on my little homestead. Also a garden, and my 2 house dogs. We are actually looking into a future move to eastern TN. We raise all our own meat and are working on raising all of our own dairy (slight detour due to buck issues) and vegetables.

Lereg

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You'll certainly find all the info ya need to get started, and if ya don't, just ask. There are many knowledgeable people here that have a wealth of Experience that they are more than willing to "Share". As ya have stated in your "Reading" so far. Do ya have any animals at all yet? Do ya have a timeline on aquiring a place?
Out of those 30 chickens, what breeds are ya wanting to get? What is the long range goal with them?...to raise strictly for meat?...egg production?....show?....or, just for Fun?
Everything I've been looking at has been a dual purpose type of thing, from the chickens, goats and sheep. That being said, I want edible livestock, but ones to provide eggs, milk, and possibly wool.
Welcome from NH! I have goats, pigs, chickens and turkeys on my little homestead. Also a garden, and my 2 house dogs. We are actually looking into a future move to eastern TN. We raise all our own meat and are working on raising all of our own dairy (slight detour due to buck issues) and vegetables.

Lereg

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score

Right now, I'm in middle Tn and haven't really seen much in the eastern side, but have found a few good places a little north of Ala and Miss, so good luck! I'd love to be on that side of the state, just haven't found anything there yet. The wife says I can just get the wild turkeys that stroll by, so doubt if I can get them as well, we'll see.

Lereg

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score

Right now, I'm in middle Tn and haven't really seen much in the eastern side, but have found a few good places a little north of Ala and Miss, so good luck! I'd love to be on that side of the state, just haven't found anything there yet. The wife says I can just get the wild turkeys that stroll by, so doubt if I can get them as well, we'll see.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
We've found a couple places that would be perfect for us but the whole process is going to take us some time!

I don't love the turkeys. But my husband does! They kind of freak me out, lol but they are pretty and delicious!