Really a backyard cow (a.k.a. feeding Bridgit)

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We finally got with the program after consulting several sources and started feeding Bridgit, our first calf heifer, 3 lbs/day of 16% dairy grain mix to help her gain some weight...she's been feeding her calf so well that her condition has gone down, and without gettin more weight on her it's unlikely she'll breed back to the bull we have here until April.

So...we spent a couple days deliberating how and where to feed her, since everyone's locked in the paddock for the winter, we don't have any cross-fencing in there, and no really secure way to get her alone without dealing with Sheila-the-boss-cow and Tabor the bull (always hot on Sheila's heels). Lord knows THEY don't need 16% dairy grain!

One night last week, in a pinch, DH decided to open the paddock gate into the yard and let Bridgit and her calf into our back yard. It worked really well...she got through to her grain long before the others figured out what we were up to, so by the time they came over to complain, they were securely locked out! That first time was pretty funny, trying to get her back in while keeping the others from getting out (it finally involved roping her horns and leading her in), and then trying to get her calf in, who was freewheeling through the yard in the dark, thrilled to have this new space to check out and run in. Oy.

The County Conservation District rep. was supposed to come out and help us determine how we could feed IN the paddock (new cross-fencing, different gating, or whatever), but he stood me up.

We now feed Bridgit in the back yard every evening...it's a RIOT!! Most of the time she's standing right at the gate, waiting for us. We've mixed it up a bit because Sheila has caught on to our scheme and tries to beat Bridgit to the gate, or at least comes running when she hears us coming. Her bull calf, T-Bone, the little rat fink, often rats us out and complains about the activity, so if Sheila doesn't see us first, her son does! A couple times when I grained Bridgit myself Annabel wasn't fast enough to join her mama before Sheila came to the gate, so she had to stay in the paddock, and wasn't happy about it. Now she's quick to stay right on Bridgit's heels. Even last night she went wild and ran all around the back yard before resigning to go back in the paddock, the little stinker! She even goes up on the patio and looks through the sliding door to our dogs, who are inevitably laying right there, staring at her and shivering with excitement. Oh, boy!

The one thing we have to watch out for is making sure we have Bridgit's horns roped so when she's done we can get her back in...as our lawn grows (and it's a patchy lawn at best), she wants to eat the grass more than go into the paddock for fresh hay!!! :lol:

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:lol: That sounds like quite the fun!

Have you considered putting up a temp fence right outside the paddock to keep Bridgit and Annabel there while eating the grain? I know it had to be hard for you to decide to grain her as you didn't want to go the grain route but, she does need to be in good condition to breed back so, I'd say you did the right thing. :)

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Sounds like fun Amy! (not)

We used to have a cow that would almost always have twins. She would get grain in a tub, outside the yard everyday!
The dogs were taught to help me protect her, from the rest of the herd, so when I fed big bales, or needed her moved, the dogs would not help me! She knew it too!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
i know yall are having fun moving her in an out of the yard every evening.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah, the whole thing is pretty darn funny, especially seeing Bridgit waiting RIGHT at the gate every evening to be let in. Last night, against probably better judgement, we decided to let T-Bone come in, too. He's such a timid big baby, but he finally got all the way through and DH shut the gate behind him. He didn't quite know what to make of the whole thing, and DH nearly got a swift cow kick to the shin (missed him literally by an inch or so), but once Annabel started her nightly run-rampant, he joined in. It was hilarious.

Annabel finally decided she was ready to go in the paddock with mama and ran right at and through the open gate, but T-Bone spooked and put on the brakes. We have four long skid marks from the fronts of his hoves in our lawn!! I'll have to take photos, I was laughing so hard! Another couple turns around the yard, and he, too, ran right through the gate, LOL. :D

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Sounds like your yard is should be called, Bridgit's pasture?
Or, the play pen?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You need to get a video of it! Then in years to come you can watch it and relive the memories!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
oh the fun of having calves an cows in the backyard.ive raised a few calves in the backyard over the years.an even had a shetland pony in the backyard.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
I need to find the pic of my cow calving on the front lawn. Our animals were in the FRONT lawn because our house is in the rear portion of our 3 acres. And yes we have a well-traveled road.
And I won't mention the time I turned around and found our yearling Jersey in the sunroom porch.
And there are pics somewhere of the newborn in the living room too. It was winter and nasty out and we don't have a warm barn - ergo: large box of straw in the living room. When she is strong enough to cause trouble, she is strong enough to live in the calf hutch.

Things we do so kids don't cry.