Really?.......Broody in January???

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I keep (quite) a few Brahma chickens....lovely to look at, but love to be broody.

So.....just started up laying again after the 'Winter shut down' and broody already.

Here she sits....

Broody (1).jpg

Broody.jpg

Do I really want chicks in February? No, I don't think so.

Anybody else have broody hens right now?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nope, but that sure is a beautiful hen! LOVE her feather pattern. I don't want chicks this early either. I cull all birds that start going broody at the wrong times so I don't have to deal with that issue much.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I cull all birds that start going broody at the wrong times so I don't have to deal with that issue much.
With these girls, I'd most likely have to cull the lot:lol:.........However, when I'm wanting chicks, these are big girls and excellent mums. I think this broody girl will be coming to the tiled outhouse for a few days as she is stealing and sitting on any eggs laid anywhere near her....the cold floor usually 'cures' them in a couple of days.
She's a Gold Brahma. The Gold Brahma rooster has amazing feathers, but, as he has personality problems, he is likely to lose his head! He has a tendency to attack me from behind....and, given that I have a lovely Blue Partridge Brahma rooster who is a total sweetheart, I don't want/need him for breeding.

WildBird

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Your hen is so pretty!

I want a broody but I am having to settle with an incubator. I'm going to set my first ever hatching eggs in monday!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nope, but that sure is a beautiful hen! LOVE her feather pattern. I don't want chicks this early either. I cull all birds that start going broody at the wrong times so I don't have to deal with that issue much.
You can break them of going broody by using a broody breaker...it’s basically a dog crate on wood blocks..it just has to let air get underneath her bottom...there’sa Little more to it it, ut I didn’t look into much, since I don’t need to yet

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your hen is so pretty!

I want a broody but I am having to settle with an incubator. I'm going to set my first ever hatching eggs in monday!
I’m going to try to see if I can make a hen go broody when the weather gets better by leaving A few eggs...they said on BYC, sometimes it’ll work...

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
My 'de-brooder' is just the cold outhouse floor.
I’m going to try to see if I can make a hen go broody when the weather gets better by leaving A few eggs...they said on BYC, sometimes it’ll work...
I'd be inclined to leave fake eggs about rather than use good ones. Also the rule of broods is "One go broody, they all go broody!'
Your hen is so pretty!

It's absolutely fascinating to watch eggs hatch. Eggs through the mail may not be as fertile as you hope, but I've had lots of good hatches from this source. Make sure you have cranked up the humidity at day 18 (I usually use 68-70%) and have the turner off at that time. Then sit on your hands when they have 'pipped' as the urge to go in there and try to help them hatch is almost overwhelming. Be sure to leave hatched chicks in the incubator until they are well and truly dried off before placing them in a brooder.
The real beauty of the broody hen is that she'll look after the chicks when they have hatched. No need for provision of heat lamps etc. as momma hen is at just the right temperature. GOOD LUCK.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
The real beauty of the broody hen is that she'll look after the chicks when they have hatched. No need for provision of heat lamps etc. as momma hen is at just the right temperature.

Absolutely!! BUT I let mine sit on a fake or a golf ball for a few days to be sure she's serious -- I know some who are!! -- then one night move her to a private nest, set so she can do her once a day up & out...dog house & surrounding cage...and add a nest of eggs. It keeps the other hens from adding eggs, her safe.

I have several broodies who are aged but will always stay. Not only do they know their job, they teach the chicks to forage & then integrate with others & roost. I love to watch them.

A few are truly "ninja moms" do NOT mess with those chicks!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Absolutely!! BUT I let mine sit on a fake or a golf ball for a few days to be sure she's serious -- I know some who are!! -- then one night move her to a private nest, set so she can do her once a day up & out...dog house & surrounding cage...and add a nest of eggs. It keeps the other hens from adding eggs, her safe.

I have several broodies who are aged but will always stay. Not only do they know their job, they teach the chicks to forage & then integrate with others & roost. I love to watch them.

A few are truly "ninja moms" do NOT mess with those chicks!
Excellent to read since I have never done it but want to. Now I can have a better idea of what to do:)