Really new milker questions ***Updated with Pictures!***

1littlefarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So I just got some new Nigerian Dwarf goats :weee
One that's a year old, one that's two weeks old, and her dam as a loaner until she's weaned or until her owner wants to breed her. She has said I can milk the dam if I would like (she's actually encouraged it to help keep her udder even) but I have a few milking questions.

1. She's not clipped. Do I need to clip her udder and/or anywhere else in order to milk her?

2. I was planning on separating the dam from the doeling at night and then just milking in the morning and letting the doeling have the milk the rest of the day.
a.)Is that ok?
b.)Do I need to give the doeling any extra food?
c.)Should I put the doeling with the yearling or the dam with the yearling? The yearling and the doeling seem to hang out well together and since they're are the two I'm ultimately hanging on to...

3. Teat dip. If, I assume, the doeling will nurse immediately when I'm done milking should I put any kind of teat dip on the dam? I can't imagine it would be good for the doeling to eat that...

Thanks!

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
1. No need to clip if you don't want to. I don't, just a bit around the lady parts to keep everything clean during and after kidding.

2. a) Yes, it is ok, but I prefer another week. The doeling needs to be eating hay well. Since she won't be able to cuddle with her mom, make sure she can stay warm. Monitor the night temps, give her a "nest" to crawl into to conserve body heat, put a sweater on her (or leave her with her mom for that night) if it is cold one night.

b) Yes, make sure she has clean water and a handful of either the nicest 2nd or 3rd cut hay or a small bundle of leafy branches tied up so they hang just off the ground. Know what is non-poisonous. Kids grow really well on this. Ask mine. Some weeds are good, too, like goldenrod and grapevines. Know which plants become poisonous while wilting, like cherry and raspberry, and don't pick those even though you may see your adult goats eating them fresh without harm, or dried in the hay without harm.

c) I would not put the doeling with the yearling. Without her mom to protect her, she is just too young and vulnerable at this age. Too risky. She will cry at first, but if you have a box or something for her to hide in, she will hunker down and go to sleep and feel safe. A tote box or half a plastic drum works well.

3. I wouldn't bother with teat dip since the doeling will nurse. Teat dip is for protection because the orifices are open and it takes time for the keratin seal to form, but the nursing kid will open it up again anyways. The doe is safer if she is standing for a while after, and she will likely be excited to be re-united with her baby and they will interact for a while anyways. If she tends to nurse then lay down right away, getting those open teats in the dirt, you could keep her up with some nice hay or some more leafy branches that will keep her occupied for a few minutes. Shouldn't be an issue, though.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
OK, you have officially reached the ten posts that are required in order to post pictures....so get crackin' and post some pics! :p

1littlefarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This is Alexandra with my girls.
1331_0617111734a.jpg

Alexandra on the milk stand
1331_0622111730.jpg

This is Q-Tip, the loaner Dam.
1331_0622111734.jpg

And her little girl, Brownie.
1331_0622111738b.jpg

And this is all of them on the milk stand!
1331_0622111737a.jpg