Rear end weakness after illness in lamb

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So my original thread was this:
https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/sheep-help-not-eating-and-weak.39261/

We took the 8 week old lamb to the vet (Monday) and he thought she had eaten something she shouldn’t based on X-ray. Was treated with abx, IV fluids, light dose of banamine, Bose, and oral meds to push anything out. Also had a 104 fever that she didn’t have that morning. She improved that night and kept peeing and pooping normally- but nothing passed and her poop didn’t even get soft. X-ray the next day (Tuesday ) showed huge improvement. She’s been back to normal except the weakness in back end. She’s eating, drinking, no fever and she’s off all meds except an extra 100mls of fluids with B complex once a day. She can stand for a few minutes once we get her up. She scoots around some.

Any suggestions? Can she lose muscle tone from laying down one day when ill? (She was up initially even when she had the fever) We are making her stand multiple times a day and for 1-2 hour every morning we have her standing over a small chair for support when I’m milking and doing chores.

She’s an 8 week old Hampshire that we’ve raised on goat milk. Her twin brother is unaffected. They are on sheep feed, browsing grass, 6oz goat milk bottles 2x a day (down from 16 oz until last week). She was 27lb Monday.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
I also have no idea, all my ideas would have been treated with the protocol she received at the vet's. Is she up to date on tetanus through mom? If not, I'd give a tetanus anti-toxin shot. Good luck, really hope given some rest and you all getting her up a few times a day that she'll recover.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, we still don't know the cause, but she's up. A little wobbly and weak in the legs still, but she can get up on her own and run across the yard. She's been eating great and healthy otherwise all this time so we expect a full recovery. I'm not sure she will recover her position as the boss in her relationship with her brother, though. LOL. He's was always the passive follower being smaller, but even though she's still a bit bigger he has come out of his shell.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could she have had Listeriosis.? Sometimes that will have a fairly protracted effect on the nervous system (but they usually recover fully in the end)

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Symptoms didn't fit at all, but I"ve learned never say never. LOL. She's obviously on the mend so we did something right.

Could she have had Listeriosis.? Sometimes that will have a fairly protracted effect on the nervous system (but they usually recover fully in the end)