Rearing kits without nest box?

Roseatebunny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi,

Before you say get a nest box
please read.
I live with my parents as an autistic 21 year old. My parents have refused to let me buy or make a nest box.
They say they (my grandad) have bred rabbits successfully for years without one.

I have rowed and tried reasoning with them to no avail. I just cannot get one. :(

Is there anything I should look out for (other then lookimg for loose kits in the morning), so my babies can be reared without a nest box?

It can be done, it's just harder.

thank you and I will be grateful for some tips.

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Maybe 3 days before she is due you could put ALOT of extra bedding in her cage. If ya can't get a nest box, turn her whole cage into a nest box!! Hopefully if you give her enough bedding, she will dig a hole in it and use it as a nest. If she delivers the baby in the hole they will be kept warm and contained for feeding.

Also, be very observant come birthing time. Once your doe starts pulling hair, check on her every hour or so. If she had a baby and it is just laying out, not in a hole, try putting it in a hole/burrow/nest she has hopefully dug in the bedding. Good luck!

Roseatebunny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Solid bottom is much better with your current scenario. I hope all goes well! Post some photos if you can. We have 3 does due tomorrow.
Mine is due 12 june. I'm mating my orange Dutch harlie mix doe with my dwarf buck on 4 july.

Can get black and blue otter from my nethie doe (June 12 one).
harlequin or sooty fawn and orange, aswell as 1/4 chance for agouti and self black from my new one (will be due Aug 4)

LilTxFarmer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Roseatebunny, I believe Tre3Hugger, has the best idea of making the whole cage a nesting area. The shoe box idea was a good thought, but not practical. I have 5 kits, right now, that are about 1 week old and there just moving all over the place and if they were in a shoe box, they would have gotten out from under it, in no time. Looking forward to hearing how it went. I have more due on the June 6th, myself.