Rearing

EventerGirl98

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She is testing you and thinks she's the head mare. When she rears throw your arms up and look "bigger". :)

MiniFarmGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Karma hasn't reared in a very long time. She just stopped rearing. Now she gets really excited when I put the goats in their pen and she hangs out by them all day. Her knee hasn't had unwanted fluid in it in a long time.

appless

Just born
Reaction score
I'd like to put an idea in in general about the lunging. You might also try changing how long your line is. If the animal is so far away from you that the whip is just a prop, that could be part of the problem. And you have to be sure you are out of striking distance. Keep an eye on her, it might reoccur as a something that once worked and she might revert for a short period to test you. Younguns can do that.:/

MiniFarmGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow, I haven't been on in a long time. Just an update! Karma had stopped rearing, but then my sister decided it was funny when she rears. Now whenever she goes out to the pasture to take care of her ducks she throws her arms up to get Karma to rear. She won't listen to me when I tell her to stop. Now I have the adventure of getting Karma to stop rearing again.

Other than her rearing, Karma is doing great. She absolutely LOVES the snow and we have plenty of it for her! She has figured out how to let the goats out of their pen so we now have to lock it. She talks to other horses she can hear near us, and loves to say hi to the Clydesdales next door. :)

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A horse like this is one that you will def. have to gain her respect. A horse that has no respect for you is an accident just waiting to happen. She may have stopped doing this or that for now. But until you have gained alpha position, you are her second. Not a good place to be. Future training will be difficult.
I'm with the others on this. It would be good to find an exp. trainer to work with. It may be expensive, but could also save you alot of money in medical bills and maybe the heart break of having to send her down the road when she is out of control and you have no choice.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
MiniFarmGirl said:
Wow, I haven't been on in a long time. Just an update! Karma had stopped rearing, but then my sister decided it was funny when she rears. Now whenever she goes out to the pasture to take care of her ducks she throws her arms up to get Karma to rear. She won't listen to me when I tell her to stop. Now I have the adventure of getting Karma to stop rearing again.

Other than her rearing, Karma is doing great. She absolutely LOVES the snow and we have plenty of it for her! She has figured out how to let the goats out of their pen so we now have to lock it. She talks to other horses she can hear near us, and loves to say hi to the Clydesdales next door. :)
There's a 17-year-old Arabian gelding at the farm where I work. His 13-year-old rider thought it would look really neat to have a picture of her on her horse, rearing, to post on her facebook page. If you know where to look, there are people who will teach you how to teach all kinds of tricks to animals. NOBODY WITH A GRAIN OF SENSE TEACHES A DANGEROUS TRICK LIKE THIS TO A SADDLE HORSE! The girl knew that her trainer, her parents, the barn owner - basically, all of the adults in her life, wouldn't approve of this, so she did it on the sly. Next thing we know, the horse is rearing all over the place. The mother is beside herself - she thought she'd bought a safe, sensible. well-trained horse for her daughter, and he's suddenly developed this dangerous habit! She refused to let her daughter ride him out of fear for the girl's life, and paid another trainer to come and work with him. I like this girl, and didn't want to get her into trouble, but I'd had my suspicions about how this behavior had suddenly come about. Finally, as tactfully as I could, I told the mother that I was pretty sure that her daughter had taught the horse to rear. She didn't believe me at first, her reaction was, "how in the world does a person do that?" I told her, "any behavior that an animal is physically capable of, it can be taught to do on cue." A while later, I saw the other trainer, and mentioned my suspicion to her. "Oh, yeah, that is totally (the rider')s doing," she said. "He tried it once with me, I whacked him for it one time, he never tried it again. That's a very smart horse." We are all onto the game at this point, if the horse is seen rearing now, the rider is getting the blame and is going to be grounded - guess what? The horse hasn't reared in ages!

Young people don't always understand the possible consequences of their actions, which is why adults need to be involved (especially with a young animal in the equation). Your sister may feel that she isn't in danger from Karma's rearing, so she thinks it's a cool trick. If Karma overbalances and goes over backward, she could get hurt. But even beyond that, Karma may get the idea that this kind of behavior is expected and rewarded - which could make her very dangerous in the future. Would your sister think it funny to know that Karma had to be destroyed because she developed this dangerous behavior? Not cool at all. :(