Reasonably priced organic feed source?

Suzy74

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Let me know what you think!!

Ingredients:
Ingredients: Organic Alfalfa Pellets, Organic Wheat, Organic Roasted Soybeans, Fertrell Poultry Nutri-balancer (Monocalcium Phosphate, Organic Dehydrated Kelp Meal, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite, Riboflavin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement Choline Chloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acit, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Botion, Mangagne Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Organic Vegetable Oil, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Extract, Active Dry Yeast, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fementation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation product, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product), and Diatomaceous Earth.

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Interesting. The feed I get has a retail price of $31, if I could run over and pick it up, but as with all feed, it is the freight charges that make it cost so much.

So, I am not an expert, but it looks this feed is a mixture of 5 things thrown in together, not the ingredients of any single pellet, because the first ingredient is a "pellet."
  1. alfalfa pellet (organic)
  2. wheat (organic)
  3. roasted soybeans (organic)
  4. Fertrell Poultry Nutri-balancer
  5. diatomaceous earth
I like that there is no corn but I personally would not be happy with the soybeans; that they are roasted makes them better digestible for the rabbit, but my greater concern is at the very end of the food chain. There are synthetic hormones that I am sure you would like to avoid being that you are eating organically and there a natural ones, like phytoestrogens, which are not bad but can be too high in the diet affecting the development of our children as well as other things. Soy is so heavily used in so many foods that I would not want more of the same hormones from my home-grown rabbit meat. That is one of the reasons I prefer feed that is soy-free, but if your family has a diet low in soy then that would probably not be a big concern.

What I am saying, though, is that you could make this feed or something similar by buying organic alfalfa pellets and tossing in Fertrell Poultry Nutri-balancer along with field peas (instead of soybeans), oats, barley or whatever and add a little diatomaceous earth. I do not know much about the poultry supplement, but I would think that chickens need higher calcium that could be excessive for a rabbit's urinary tract, but that would depend on the ratios if that would actually be a concern.

How does it compare with the feed you were getting?

Last edited: