Recognizing A Heifer in Heat

MyFather'sSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Has she been cycling? Timing is pretty regular/predictable, most cases.
In the herd, she may ride or stand, that activity is normal.
You don't want her bred first heat. At 15 months, she has probably cycled.
Large Dairy and AI programs will use hormones to induce heat. I wouldn't but my neighbor does. To each as they choose.
Watch her tail. Often a heifer/cow will hod her tail up or to the side a little. If you can watch her closely, she will swell and produce mucus. There may be some color with increased blood circulation.
There are some good Youtube clips that might help too.
I hope your bull makes a nice small calf. Hope this helps some

I will watch for the tail and mucus. She is with all sheep that are way too small for her to try and ride.

MyFather'sSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
One other thing. Are you sure she is a "good" heifer? No chance she is a twin to a bull therefore a free martin that is 90% sure to be a non-breeder? Actually, I would have a vet palpate her, make sure her ovaries and reproductive tract are functioning. A Lute shot will do no good if she is not already cycling. If you are shooting for a spring calving, then you have a couple of months to get her heats pinpointed. But if her reproductive tract is not matured, and her ovaries are not producing folicles, all the lutalyse in the world won't help.
Being a free martin would be SUPER disappointing, but I do no have that info.

Jeff n Jenny

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If you're anywhere nearby, I have two small polled galloway bulls that are gentle, and kind to a 1st calf heifer.
You could drop her off, no fee. North East Tennessee.
Grant and Farmerjan have shared some better info than I could.
A vet check first might be your next consideration.
If there is a Vet School in the area, they may be able to help with diagnostics??
If your close enough, let me know.

MyFather'sSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If you're anywhere nearby, I have two small polled galloway bulls that are gentle, and kind to a 1st calf heifer.
You could drop her off, no fee. North East Tennessee.
Grant and Farmerjan have shared some better info than I could.
A vet check first might be your next consideration.
If there is a Vet School in the area, they may be able to help with diagnostics??
If your close enough, let me know.
Yall are so kind! I'm in Texas though, but your kindness is much appreciated.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a 15 month old Jersey heifer I want to breed. The bull is 2+ hours away and they charge $150/week as the fee, so we will only be leaving her there 1 week. So, I need to get really good at recognizing when she is in heat to time it right. Most of what I've read about signs she is in heat is in reference to other cows, but she lives with a flock of sheep. She started being aggressive with the ewes last week. We thought that was a sign, but she full out charged an ewe today, so maybe not. What are signs she's in heat?

Find an experienced AI tech in your area, have him/her breed your heifer with a proven Jersey bull. This will allow you to choose a bull with good calving ease and many other traits that are proven. You should also save substantial $$$, and avoid the long trip, which most definitely will improve your conception rate. I would synchronize her by using a 7 day CIDR protocol (a local vet should be able to help you with that). This will ensure that the semen is deposited at the optimum time. Follow the protocol exactly, and you should be fine. Good luck! FYI, I have AI'd thousands of cows and heifers for many customers. Been doing it since 1988 with my own herd, and started custom AI in the '90's.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, are you the folks that don't believe in anything artificial? If so, then you might just want to accept that short of leaving her with the bull for at least 4 weeks, you are going to have a slimmer chance of catching her in the right time frame for heat and breeding without any other cattle in the same field with her.

The ram may help a bit as if she is coming into heat, he may act more interested even though he is of a different species.

But you need to really know what is totally normal for her and then watch closely when she shows any signs of deviating from that "normal" behavior. You may be able to catch her with some "slime" or mucous on her tail or sides of her hind legs. If there is any blood or if it is pink or has a bloody tint, it is likely, no guarantee, that she is out of heat about 1-3 days. Realize also that all animals do not have heats at exactly 21 days. They can go from 18 to 24 days between heats.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I still think that for starters, you should at least get her palpated by a vet so you are at least knowledgeable about her physical condition. If she is cycling and all feels good, the vet can give you a general idea of where in her cycle she is most times. That can cut down the guessing time.
Plus, you need to have some sort of a relationship with a vet so that when the time comes for her to calve, if there are problems, the vet is at least acquainted with where your farm is, and the general animal and working conditions there. Many vets here have a portable "chute" on wheels that they can take to farms if needed for working cattle in. At the very least, they need to know and have with them anything that they may need to restrain and then pull a calf, or even to do a c-section if necessary. There are times that modern medicine and practices are still needed.