Recommendations for putting weight on a thin animal

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know that I've ever seen this issue with Nigerians, and I've definitely not experienced it myself.

We have a very thin animal. We acquired her this past summer along with two other animals. She was bred when we got her so it was not so obvious at the time.

She kidded and has been dried off for two months.

Still very skinny.

Other two are fine. She is by all other accounts perfectly healthy.

She has 0 worm count as confirmed by a recent fecal float at the state lab. We are giving her supplemental feed, in fact we've bought some with higher protein and fat than we have been feeding out others. Coastal bermuda hay like our others along with extra alfalpha pellets.

Now obviously, there could be other health issues that may be contributing to this and I'm not discouting that.

But, does anyone have any suggestions on some way we could possibly supplement to give her more calories and/or fat?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Rolled steamed corn. 1 cup twice a day mixed in with the feed that you are giving now. Start out with less and build up to the total amount over a few days.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would be sure to give her actual alfalfa hay if possible. Boss and calf manna are good for adding nutrients and I haven't tried it, but beet pulp is supposed to be good for adding weight. Corn is a fattening food for animals, so you could go that route too.

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a doe that was in fine shape when I bought her. Then she kidded and did not respond to the wormer I was using. When I finally got her wormed properly (thanks to everyone here) she looked like a skeleton walking around. That was last summer and she is still much skinnier than my other goats. I guess it just takes some goats longer to regain lost weight than others.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
Rolled steamed corn. 1 cup twice a day mixed in with the feed that you are giving now. Start out with less and build up to the total amount over a few days.
What exactly is rolled steamed corn? How do you do that?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
ragdollcatlady said:
I would be sure to give her actual alfalfa hay if possible. Boss and calf manna are good for adding nutrients and I haven't tried it, but beet pulp is supposed to be good for adding weight. Corn is a fattening food for animals, so you could go that route too.
I had thought I would get some real alfalfa hay.

We know a Nubian breeder that feeds beef pulp because they can get skinny. I may pick up a bag at TSC. I've seen people on here using Boss. Can see where that would add some fat. But, I think the calcium/phosphorus ratio is pretty bad. But, as a supplement it would probably be a good idea.

Thanks

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
treeclimber233 said:
I have a doe that was in fine shape when I bought her. Then she kidded and did not respond to the wormer I was using. When I finally got her wormed properly (thanks to everyone here) she looked like a skeleton walking around. That was last summer and she is still much skinnier than my other goats. I guess it just takes some goats longer to regain lost weight than others.
We just knew she had worms, particularly since we added her this summer. We had never had any worm issues. We actually did a fecal float and came up with 0. We didn't believe it and had a McMaster's at the state lab. Again, 0

She had 3 kids her first freshening, 4 her second. I had thought that this was probably a factor.

She's also the most hyperactive goat I've ever met.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

My skinny goat is Rosmarinus.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
OneFineAcre said:
20kidsonhill said:
What exactly is rolled steamed corn? How do you do that?
That is how you purchase it, it is cracked corn with a higher moisture content. if you can't find steamed corn, then cracked corn will work.