Red Teat-single

ctbrown4

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I went outside and found that oneside of my goats udder was very swollen and red. She had a single on Sunday. We were able to milk the one side with no problem. the milk looks perfectly fine and she did not mind it at all. could this be a case of the baby favoring one side? How do we correct this? How do we get the baby to nurse on both sides?

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I went outside and found that oneside of my goats udder was very swollen and red. She had a single on Sunday. We were able to milk the one side with no problem. the milk looks perfectly fine and she did not mind it at all. could this be a case of the baby favoring one side? How do we correct this? How do we get the baby to nurse on both sides?

You can try holding the doe and moving the kid to the unused side, or milk out the unused side..? Or tape the red side so the kid has to go to the other.:)

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd do like BB said and try to get her on the other side - but if it's swollen it might be too big for her mouth. Is that the side she lets you milk? If so, I'd milk it down and "urge" her to use it. If not, you can try to tape the one that she prefers so she'll use the other one.

Good luck with her - and we love pics!