Red's Kidding Thread - Penelope

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
And some pics of Moonpie and her doeling Sweetheart. Both doing great.

Attachments

• 20170516_165222-1.jpg
    20170516_165222-1.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 20170516_165230-1.jpg
    20170516_165230-1.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 141

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well this is new...
She is CL negative even though this has presented perfectly for it. The vet looked at her and says that since she is negative we can just lance it and clean it with betadine solution.

Tips on lancing this beauty? :sick:sick:sick:sick:sick

Attachments

• 2017-05-23 08.24.48_resized.jpg
    2017-05-23 08.24.48_resized.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 124

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I'd make sure she was immobilized then place some sort of "catch" medium (newspaper/cardboard, something) under the area & use a standard scalpel to cut a small slit in it. Excise the stuff and proceed from there. If you can get sequential pics to post it might help others down the road.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well this is new...
She is CL negative even though this has presented perfectly for it. The vet looked at her and says that since she is negative we can just lance it and clean it with betadine solution.

Tips on lancing this beauty? :sick:sick:sick:sick:sick

A one time test is the least accurate. It is quite possibly CL.
Did you see the results yourself?

As far as lancing... there is a long list of precautions BEFORE you do this so don't do this just yet.....
You do however NEED to isolate her in an area where you will never ever have another goat go again. She will need to remain there after you lance and until you get results back. If positive you must isolate her until the hole completely scabs over and is healed up.

Get back to you in a bit.

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A one time test is the least accurate. It is quite possibly CL.
Did you see the results yourself?

As far as lancing... there is a long list of precautions BEFORE you do this so don't do this just yet.....
You do however NEED to isolate her in an area where you will never ever have another goat go again. She will need to remain there after you lance and until you get results back. If positive you must isolate her until the hole completely scabs over and is healed up.

Get back to you in a bit.

Yes, I have a copy of the lab results from PAN American Vet Labs and all 3 of her labs came back negative.

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Attached are the results that were sent. It's hard to see in the photo, but they are listed as negative.

Attachments

• 2017-05-23 15.11.44.png
    2017-05-23 15.11.44.png
    382.4 KB · Views: 137

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
You should still test the puss for CL
That is the most accurate way to truly tell if they are negative. Like SBC said, a one time blood test doesn't mean much, that is why we do yearly testing. When you've been testing 5+ years and always gotten clean/negative results you can assume they truly are negative.

Treat her like she has CL or the "worst case scenario". Something caused that abscess and you don't know what. Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis isn't the only bacteria to cause lumps, you really need to find out what bacteria she has. Some of them are incredibly nasty and can set your herd up for disaster.

I assume she was the only goat in the herd to be tested? If she were newly exposed when you tested her, the test would come up positive anyway. I've told you how rampant CL is in the meat goat world, and many of these goats to have it internally- so even if the goats didn't have a present lump/s when you visited the farm they could potentially be spreading it by coughing (if in the lungs), milk (if in the udder) etc.

Her lump is very concerning because it's at a CL location. Look at the pics in the link-
http://goat-link.com/content/view/101/96/#.WSSUZzz3aEc

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You should still test the puss for CL
That is the most accurate way to truly tell if they are negative. Like SBC said, a one time blood test doesn't mean much, that is why we do yearly testing. When you've been testing 5+ years and always gotten clean/negative results you can assume they truly are negative.

Treat her like she has CL or the "worst case scenario". Something caused that abscess and you don't know what. Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis isn't the only bacteria to cause lumps, you really need to find out what bacteria she has. Some of them are incredibly nasty and can set your herd up for disaster.

I assume she was the only goat in the herd to be tested? If she were newly exposed when you tested her, the test would come up positive anyway. I've told you how rampant CL is in the meat goat world, and many of these goats to have it internally- so even if the goats didn't have a present lump/s when you visited the farm they could potentially be spreading it by coughing (if in the lungs), milk (if in the udder) etc.

Her lump is very concerning because it's at a CL location. Look at the pics in the link-
http://goat-link.com/content/view/101/96/#.WSSUZzz3aEc

All my goats have been testing, except my 2 youngest. Moonpies doeling and the 4 day old. All of them have come back negative. They've all been tested within a year.

Even when the vet said due to the placement she would have thought her to have CL, but with a negative result just a couple months ago, she isn't concerned with it.

So, we're thinking that a culture still needs to be done? I've read a lot of different articles since I've seen the abscess to figure out what it is or what to do. Some state that if they are CL neg, it could just be a pussy swollen lymph node.

And yes, I've heard that with CL, they can present internally. That is why many meat goats are condemned at slaughter.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, test it for CL and ask them to check it for other bacteria as well.

When did you buy this doe?
When did you test her?

She could have still been exposed at the farm you purchased her from, but it wasn't enough time to "incubate" to show a positive test.