1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Bee Hives. Swarm information, history, lessons and more
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Red's Kidding Thread - Waiting patiently (NOT)

Discussion in 'Birthing, Weaning, and Raising Young Goats' started by nstone630, May 8, 2017.

1. Jul 11, 2017
    Goatgirl47

Goatgirl47 True BYH Addict

Looking good! :thumbsup:weee

nstone630 likes this.
  2. Jul 11, 2017
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

My goats don't get many abscesses, maybe one or two a year and I own 40+ goats. If the abscess is on the cheek I honestly don't test. My herd is tested and closed and I don't show so there is no exposure.

Hope that the kidding is uneventful, those are the best kind.

Goatgirl47 and nstone630 like this.
  3. Jul 12, 2017
    dejavoodoo114

dejavoodoo114 Loving the herd life

Exciting! :clap We are getting ready for breeding season here. Maybe I should get a breed that more easily breeds year round... ;)

nstone630 likes this.
  4. Jul 13, 2017
    nstone630

nstone630 Loving the herd life

Does give you more kidding times :love but the additional stress of it all as well LOL :lol:

5. Jul 14, 2017
    nstone630

She is not a fan of the kidding stall. She's never been enclosed and she's being very vocal about it all o_O She will be fine though. Her due date is a week away! I can't believe it.

Most go right up to day 150 right? I wanted to put her in the stall just IN CASE she didn't go the full 150 days. It's much less stressful when I know the due date, geez, what a difference from when Moonpie was pregnant.

Moonpie is still letting Sweetheart nurse from time to time. I feel this is why neither of them have come into heat yet, and I'm OK with that :lol: I may put Moonpie in the birthing stall in October to dry her up so that she will come in heat next year.

After kidding, and after taking away babies, how long after does it usual take for them to come back into heat? I know Boer's are good for breeding year round. Just wondering if anyone here has ideas?

Goatgirl47 likes this.
  6. Jul 17, 2017 at 10:47 AM
    nstone630

Day 146 :pop :barnie:drool :caf Luckily since it is summer the kids are home ALL day most of the time. They are my eyes and ears while I have to be in the office.

She's become VERY affectionate the last 2 days. Bag is very full. I'll try and get some photo's this evening when I get home for a better update!

Latestarter and Goatgirl47 like this.
  7. Jul 18, 2017 at 10:01 AM
    nstone630

She's filling out nicely. Kids are attempting to get me some additional photos while I'm at work today :)
    :pop:pop

Attached Files:

Goatgirl47 likes this.
  8. Jul 18, 2017 at 10:20 AM
    nstone630

For as pregnant as she should be, so doesn't look anywhere near as fat as some of your girls @Goat Whisperer. Neither did Moonpie though with just twins. Is this because you're expecting more than twins?

She has access to Hay 24/7, water and minerals. She also gets 1 cup of feed daily.
    Before this week she was free range.
    Could the stress of her being in the kidding stall be causing some weight loss? Just looking from pics before I placed her in the stall to now...she seem's to have lost weight.

Here are the latest shots the kids got today.

Attached Files:

9. Jul 18, 2017 at 11:25 AM
    Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Herd Master

I'm not understanding why a kid nursing would prevent the dam from getting bred?
    I milk my does ten months out of the year, they get bred while they are still milking.
    If the dam is deficient that will play a role.
    She could also be a seasonal breeder.

As far as the red doe, she does look very thin. Part of it could be the pic, and maybe she's dropped a bit, but she still looks underweight. One cup (if you mean a kitchen measuring cup) is not near enough feed for a doe that size. She is going to need several pounds of feed come kidding time. I know you dealt with this when your other doe had kidded.

What type of hay are you feeding?

I don't know how many kids my girls are going to have, although the one doe (Clover) doesn't look very big to me, right now I'm guessing a single/maybe twins. But her udder is pretty big so who knows. Large does (generally) have more body capacity and are able to "hide" kids well.

When was the last time you checked her fecal and last time wormed?

10. Jul 18, 2017 at 12:15 PM
    nstone630

I was just thinking that a nursing dam may not come into heat ? But my thinking obviously can be incorrect.

I was trying to not over feed with pellets but give her all the hay she wants. I will up the grain.

DH wants to let her out to free range since she's looking thin. I just don't know what to do with that, as if she kids while we are not there, I risk other goats or animals being able to get to them. The kidding stall is secure enough that nothing is getting in or out unless it can climb 6 foot gates.
    Thoughts?? I thought everyone kind of "put up the dams" when they got real close.??

She was wormed just a month ago, with all the rest of them. No fecal testing recently as there have been so signs of needing it, scours or such.